• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What front end to run ?

billstoy

If I built a 4.3/400/205, buggy with a 9 in rear. what is the best frontend for a light weight rig.? Without a full build out. what stock unit with fewest up grades and low weight ?
Tell me what you think and why.

What size tire? Sticky? The only OEM axle to match the 9" bolt pattern is a HP44.

Re:

99-04 style Dana 60 with 5 lug unit bearings and 1/2 ton brakes.

I would also use a gm 3.5/3.7 I5 rather than a 4.3.

Lighter and more power

Best cost effective front to me would be a FJ-60 or 62 front. Can be had for a good price. 9.5" ring gear. Longs for them are pretty tough. Probably the cheapest option out there. You could have the front built for what a set of RCV's cost for a 44.

Not to mention, that if you are running full hydro there is no need for any steering arms or machine work to the knuckles like a 44.

matth_85 said:
Best cost effective front to me would be a FJ-60 or 62 front. Can be had for a good price. 9.5" ring gear. Longs for them are pretty tough. Probably the cheapest option out there. You could have the front built for what a set of RCV's cost for a 44.

I like your style.. Toyota. I have never looked at a fj60 or 62. Both my buggies are fj40 9 1/2 to mini outters.

billstoy said:
I like your style.. Toyota. I have never looked at a fj60 or 62. Both my buggies are fj40 9 1/2 to mini outters.

60/62 are exactly the same as a 40 except 3" wider on the longside

Neal3000 said:
60/62 are exactly the same as a 40 except 3" wider on the longside

Correct. Which would match up nicely with a 9" I'd think. Especially with the ability to swap to IFS hub bodies and add 3"

muddinmetal said:
Why a 400 trans? It's heavier, it eats horsepower, and has a slightly higher 1st gear

As stated , This is what I have. Also this thread has helped me learn something.

you seem to like building oddball stuff, you should make yourself a 609.....ford 9 centersection with D60 outers

If you go HP44 then find a 78or79 F150 Super Cab. You will have to cut off the leaf spring perches but the hp44 is just like the f250 hp44 but will have the 5x5.5 bolt pattern to match the 9"

yes! Zac was going to do the 9/60 but the cost is high. looking to keep real low budget. As I stated in other posts. One of my favorite things about our sport is build anything, try anything. making it work is half the fun...

billstoy said:
yes! Zac was going to do the 9/60 but the cost is high. looking to keep real low budget. As I stated in other posts. One of my favorite things about our sport is build anything, try anything. making it work is half the fun...

I still say if real low budget and more than 4cyl power, a 60 will be the cheapest in the long run.

Or a fj axle with some RCVs.

Agreed! Nick, If you still have that ARB in a few months , I may be interested.. consider any part trades?