• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What gauges to put in the buggy?

They are more expensive, but for sure Autometer! Most others will crap out! So do it rite the first time and be done with it.

Autometer.. Or for about the same momey you can go with a gauge cluster from Dakota Digital.. It uses a can-bus style wiring so they are easy to wire and compact

I recommend looking into using warning lights in addition to gauges. High coolant temp. and low oil pressure and minimum. They really get your attention when things go wrong and could save an engine.

Autometer and dummy lights. My lights are wired red for oil pressure and yellow for engine and trans temp. Cheap easy and effective plus I use the smaller gauges since I don't have to scan them unless there is a light.

Maybe they've changed it now but when I looked into a Racepack they didn't have an option to view water temp, oil pressure and trans temp on the same screen. That was enough to turn me away.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

crawlin85cj said:
Autometer and dummy lights. My lights are wired red for oil pressure and yellow for engine and trans temp. Cheap easy and effective plus I use the smaller gauges since I don't have to scan them unless there is a light.

Maybe they've changed it now but when I looked into a Racepack they didn't have an option to view water temp, oil pressure and trans temp on the same screen. That was enough to turn me away.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
they have it now! you can have it all on the same screen

crawlin85cj said:

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ

I have a RacePak in the 38 Special

Shows RPM, water temp, oil pressure, and oil temperature. Used the oil temp as the trans temp, so the gauge that says oil temp is actually the trans temp. Kept from having to buy another sender. On Solo Buggy, I have round Autometer gauges. The gauge needles give me a better feel at a glance for what the engine is doing. The RacePak is always changing. Like water temp says 210 - 211 - 212 - 210 - 214 - 215 - 213 - 212 - 211 - 213 - 215 - 214, etc. Find myself looking at each degree as a different value. On the Autometer gauge, the needle is not fluctuating much and is around 210-215 so I am good.

After running both my PERSONAL preference is round style needle gauges.

The Autometers I went with in Solo Buggy have the "dummy" lights built in. They are user settable and also have max recall if pressed before shutting the engine off. The downside I have found it there is not rubber grommet around the setting post, so it is possible to get water in gauge if not careful pressure washing.

Here are the gauges:

Water temp - ATM-4454
Voltmeter - ATM-4483
Tachometer - ATM-4497
Oil Pressure - ATM-4452
Fuel Pressure - ATM-4472

All from Summit Racing.

Re: Re: What gauges to put in the buggy?

33297919470fecc41806e2b90ffffc6e.jpg

Single digital cluster

Re: Re: Re: What gauges to put in the buggy?

crawlin85cj said:

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ

Exactly why I'm getting rid of my racepak, plus the back light has quit working, along with what JohnG said as well. ...analog with warning lights ftw.

matt

Re: Re: Re: What gauges to put in the buggy?

mcutler said:
Exactly why I'm getting rid of my racepak, plus the back light has quit working, along with what JohnG said as well. ...analog with warning lights ftw.

matt

My RacePak lost the back light too. They fixed it for me. About $80 IIRC.

Re: Re: What gauges to put in the buggy?

****...for what they cost us, with less than ehhh. ..10,000 miles, should be a free repair
...;D

matt

I just bought this for my wife's buggy, gonna put it in the middle of the dash and do a molded or kinda fancie dash around it, I know nothing about quality but it looked cool and different so I thought Id give it a shot, it's wrapped up under the Christmas tree right now! I have basic auto meter gauges in my buggy