• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What is a good multimeter?

John Galbreath Jr.

38 Special & Solo Buggy
I have been using the Ideal 61-736 for a while. I have bought 3 of them as I like them to be the same, I keep one in the house, one in the shop, and one in the motorhome. I shorted one to 12 volts when on an ohms reading and it never worked again. This time, I don't think I shorted it as it was on DC setting and I was testing 12 volts when screen went blank. I'm done with this one.

10485.jpg

What should I buy. Really only use it for testing 12 volt DC, 120 volt AC, 240 volt AC, and continuity. Rarely the other settings.

Re:

Fluke 87series will do most anything you need.

Also if you measure DC amps(over 10) the craftsman clamp on is nice and has yet to fail calibration its 3 years old and used in harsh environments. I used its for field service and use my fluke in the shop.

John go over to Buffalo Electric Supply on 2nd Ave North on the West side of 65 in Birmingham. They are cheaper than Mayer, Inline or Grainger. The guys in there are super friendly and easy to deal with. That is about the only place I will buy electrical tools. I will occasionally stop by Forbes on 4th Ave South for small spinners or holding screw drivers.

Regardless of brand look into one with a built in IR thermometer. My meter has one and it nice combining multiple tools into one. Very handy for comparing temps when troubleshooting.

What is a good Fluke less than the 87V. It is over $400 each, or $1,200 for three, I don't think I would get that much value from them!!

Fluke 88 for me or nothing. About 500 bucks, but I have had mine for about 18 years or so now, still using it daily and has never given any problems. Still there top of the line multimeter. Noone I know has ever had any complaints from a fluke meter. You will not need a backup meter.

I started this exact thread a couple years ago, you might check that for advice as well. I ended up getting a Craftsman because I couldn't justify the cost of a Fluke for what I do with it. I've been happy with it ever since.

If money wasn't an issues I wold have bought Fluke though. I did check my local pawn shops but they all wanted almost as much for used Fluke's as I could find them new.

You can get a fluke amp clamp like what you are currently using. They are less than the 87 models. I have this one in the link but if you don't plan in measuring high inrush amps you can get a lower model. I have to read amps on 480v compressors and use mine multiple times a day.

Fluke 376 True RMS AC/DC Clamp Meter with iFlex https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0086963VC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_DWlVwbFZEXYKA

i sell this stuff for a living. for what your doing the fluke is over kill. buy a Klein. just as good quality, 4 year over the counter warranty and depending on which one less then 100.00.
let me know, i have a couple at the house ill trade you for Hardline shirt.

Fluke is the best no doubt but then going for a gallon of milk in anything less than a Rolls Royce is crazy...

Personally I have been VERY happy with my greenlee clamp meter from Home Depot.

I have a bunch of flukes in my tool box at work in various models. (376, 719, 725, 771, 789)

I also have an 87. I brought it home because I never used it. My 789 will do everything it does, plus a ton more. But paying $400 for a general home use multimeter is crazy. Go to your favorite local big box store and buy you a decent meter. It will do everything you need, and be plenty accurate for a home use meter. If you need it to be accurate down to .010mA or something then yeah, go for a fluke. But otherwise you're just wasting money.

Latest posts