• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What kind of automatic shifter should I buy?

I think that shifter is older than a 241, I had it laying around for a long time. It is definately a floor mount and as i recall the shift plate 2h,4h,2l,4l. with just 1 jog over between the lo and hi ranges. Maybe it's a 208, they only have one shift rod.

I think your right about the 208, like Kelly mentioned the 203 has a flat handle. Great info!

My old buggy just had a lever and rod to shift with, you felt the detents. I grabbed Park once trying to get reverse and it didnt end well. After that I used a Cable and dog latch that I'd click on once I shifted from park, the cable was only long enough to allow for Reverse.

I like Kellys plan for modifying the trans for firmer detents.

You'll need this for the side of the trans.

$4.99 http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Transmission-Shifter-Arm,8442.html
91021956_R.jpg

I didnt build this, but it worked flawless. Shiftlever would rotate a bar that went under the driverseat that had an arm hanging off the bottom that the shift rod attached to. The rod went down to hit the Speedway tab above.

I dont have any perfect pics but you can see in this pic the shift arm, and the rod that goes up to my shift lever.
IMG_3407.jpg

And the top side before I added the eyelet for the cable stop, Travis "RockWild" Snyder gave me that low tech idea. When not in use the dog latch just clicked onto my seatbelt harness latch mechanism.
shifter.jpg

That's pretty slick. IMO anything that gets rid of the cable is a good thing!! A little more info or a pic of the park lockout please.

doctordick said:
That's pretty slick. IMO anything that gets rid of the cable is a good thing!! A little more info or a pic of the park lockout please.

Its so basic, gets the job done, and is ultra compact. My old car was only 48"wide so the seats touched where the shifter was.

Here is my crude paint drawing of it. A eyelet on the shifter, then a cable with a Dog leash latch (from Tractor Supply) to hook to the shifter and the other end was attached to the chassis between the seats.
When in PARK, I would latch the thing to my seatbelt harness latch mechanism (so it wouldnt fall between the seats).
If going to get in a situation I was worried about grabbing park, I'd shift out of PARK, and hook the doglatch to the eyelet on the shifter. The cable was only long enough to allow the throw of the shifter to hit Reverse.

shifterdrawing.jpg

Heres a pic of in the car, you can see the eyelet on the shifter(lower left lever)
IMG_5007.jpg

Not sure yet where mine will be but a dirt car shifter would've bean in your seat?

I love the simple park lock out idea :dblthumb:

That cable idea worked really good. We were trying to figure some kind of gate system but the cable was so much easier.

i was looking thru the pics of the essentially off road camaro buggy and noticed it has a cable on the tci circle track shifter.....does anyone have any way to snap some more pics of what the setup looks like inside that console. i have an idea how they did it, but i would like to see it.....so i can copy it :dblthumb: im trying to keep the cable setup in the jeep instead of the rod

whiskeymakin said:
i was looking thru the pics of the essentially off road camaro buggy and noticed it has a cable on the tci circle track shifter.....does anyone have any way to snap some more pics of what the setup looks like inside that console. i have an idea how they did it, but i would like to see it.....so i can copy it :dblthumb: im trying to keep the cable setup in the jeep instead of the rod
This is the only setup we use here around the shop anymore for offroad rigs the feel and quickness of the circle type shifter is perfect for rockbouncing.
We make a kit for these to go cable style. It is a great alternative to the other shifters out on the market... for allot less too.

Jimmy

I took a $260 B&M shifter out of this rig to get rid of the stretchin'-ass always out of adjustment rustin' up fulla mud replace it every season $60 F'n cable.

jimmy,
does that kit allow it to work with a B&M cable also or just TCI stuff.....not sure if there is any difference in the 2?

I send my own cable super heavy duty and with thru eye mounts no slip, quick disconnects and it want chafe through in a week.

I am thinking about using a dirt track shifter for my 47' truggy build. Has anyone used a different method, other hand a dog leash clip and cable, to keep from slamming into park when you are looking for a quick reverse?