• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What to do..? Need some help

algranger

Alright so i just bought a new truck with a rod knock'n 22r. Pulled the oil pan today and found the #4 rod has lots of slack which i expected. I also found a heap of parts sitting in the oil pan.. obviously a broken timing chain guide, it has some pretty major grooves worn into it too. There was a little spring about 1.5" long and 3/8" in diameter is that part of the timing chain guide? So can just replace the guides? Or should i do chain and gears too? What would you guys reccomend? Thanks!

I reccomend a junkyard engine that you hear running before buying it. You could be opening pandoras box..

sounds like it lost the tensioner, thats where the spring is from.

pull the cover. throw on a chain SET. and an OIL pump(thats important)
toss some rod bearing in, and fire it up.
easily fixed IN the truck.

that is..unless theres MAJOR damage...
but, thatd be YOUR call.

X2 on what Bunk said:awesomework: .....Pandoras box is patiently waiting for you to attempt a half-ass repair:D ; your other option would be to completely rebuild it...you know, machine work and all....

pfft.. no sense of adventure?
id take the chance.
in fact, i HAVE dont something very similair before with a built 22r.
jumped time, while idling.
yanked the cover, replaced all the worn, broken parts.
dropped the pan, replaced the rod bearings that were PACKED with AL shavings. from the chain grinding on the cover.

slapped it back together. it ran that way for YRS, until i sold it.
was a STRONG runner, and he ran it for a long time also.
several yrs later a buddy bought the truck. was finally "old" and leaking oil pretty good. but still ran great, with lots of power.

still if it was me, id fix it....

I wouldn't get too worked up about the parts of the timing set in the pan... I've found 2 of the same pieces of a guide in one pan... Pull the cover and see if those parts are from the set that is in there currently. If not, swap a bearing and give it a go.. Cheap deal and it might last for a long time!

Or 30 seconds.. But ya never know till you roll those dice. :D

What are you going to do with the loose rod? Better pull the cap and see if it can even be fixed. If the bearing is "spun" don't bother, scrap it.

if the bearing is spun(without damaging the crank) toss an oversized set in. im telling you, id have this motor purring in a weekend.:awesomework:

honestly, its really hard to determine what to do, from HERE.

you must mean a new very used motor...Sounds like a great winter project to pull and rebuild it...22R are fun and parts are easy to find and inexpensive, come spring you will be on the road with a brand new rebuilt 22R all painted and somethig to be proud of.

Dont be a *****.

I opened pandoras box back in Oct. Got a runner thatburnt massive oil and the timing was off. Turns out #1 cylinder rings were completely gone and there was a missing timing tooth. Motor burned oil extremely quick and ended up starving and frying #3 rod bearing. Crank was ****ed.

Ended up getting a crank from a friend, having the engine bored .40 over, new timing cover, oil pump, water pump, cam, radiator, and the standard full rebuild. Top end had just been rebuilt by the prev. owner, yet he didnt touch the lower end. So now I've got a brand new 22re for about $800 doing it myself.

Runs like a dream now that all the coolant leaks are out of the way. Thanks Mike:redneck: