• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What to use to get rid of gas fumes in tank

Digger 5

I remember someone saying that there was a product that you could put in a gas tank and get rid of fumes before welding. Does anyone remember???

I use Helium/argon or Co2 or any other inert gas that is convenient. Run said gas regulator wide open ,for a few minutes,into said container and yer good. Ive been known to TIG on un-purged cells when in a hurry.......gotta have faith in yer skillz:redneck:

Is the tank out of the vehicle? Soap and water will do. Gas tanks can be welded with gas in them if you have balls and skills :corn:

Matches work good for removing fumes. :hi:

(whatcha working on.... YJ's have plastic tanks.... And you don't have a tig for the flattie.)

dove dish soap and water followed by a lit oxy-act torch :redneck: well try the soap any way

I used to work at a rock pit and we had an old guy weld diesel tanks when they needed it. He would just put a hose on the muffler of his diesel welder on his truck and stick the hose in the tank and the exhaust fumes would replace the diesel fumes and he would weld away.

I've soaked them with a TSP solution to ship via UPS. They had to pass the sniff test of the guy down there, so I dried them out with a heat lamp before CO2 packing them.

I used to work at a rock pit and we had an old guy weld diesel tanks when they needed it. He would just put a hose on the muffler of his diesel welder on his truck and stick the hose in the tank and the exhaust fumes would replace the diesel fumes and he would weld away.

This is the way I've heard of it being done.