• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What type of Dana 60?

ridinwfo

I have a Toyota pu w/ a small block 350 on 38's. I keep breaking birfs and the steering arms keep coming lose and I keep shearing off Knuckle studs. I'm tired of this ****. I want something stronger. So in seeing that how all the crawlers and beafed up rigs have all gone to Dana 60's I thought that this might be my next step up. But what am I looking for? What year? I see old housings for cheap. I don't really wana be putting a ton of money into these axles right away just to get it on the trail.

Who knows what Dana 60 would be the best and from what type of truck would fit best under my Yota without having to shorten the housing or do much fab work?

your going to have to shorten the housing..... the perch in the pass side is cast into the housing so to align it you will have to remove from the longside to correct to your narrower perch width. you will be able to use a Dodge housing since the "short side" is shorter than a chev and will probibly end up with a 65" WMF to WMF roughly where as with a chev you will most likely end up around 67" wide. either a chev or dodge will work a for will not unless you want to retube the housing and than you can use a ford but will still have to do some casting welding to make a parch on the housing since it is on the wrong side. if your not wanting to narrow the housing at all you have to outbord your leafsprings. if you want it to work correctly your going to have to cut and turn the front for proper pinion angle and castor no matter which you choose.

Jason C said:
your going to have to shorten the housing..... the perch in the pass side is cast into the housing so to align it you will have to remove from the longside to correct to your narrower perch width. you will be able to use a Dodge housing since the "short side" is shorter than a chev and will probibly end up with a 65" WMF to WMF roughly where as with a chev you will most likely end up around 67" wide. either a chev or dodge will work a for will not unless you want to retube the housing and than you can use a ford but will still have to do some casting welding to make a parch on the housing since it is on the wrong side. if your not wanting to narrow the housing at all you have to outbord your leafsprings. if you want it to work correctly your going to have to cut and turn the front for proper pinion angle and castor no matter which you choose.

The only other thing left is the lug pattern and wheel size you will have to run with a stock 8 lug 1 ton axle. You could convert it to 6 lug and small 1/2 ton calipers so you can run 15 inch rims, But thats a bunch of money.

Latest posts