• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

what year diesels and motors were the best?

billstoy

I'm looking for one to pull my rig. maybe hop up a little. I know there many to choose from. What do I look for?
What motors/years had the best reputation?

not sure which years for the chevys or ferds, but the 05,06,07 dodges are pretty hard to beat. They all have their good and bad years for sure so do your research.

I would avoid the auto tranny in the dodge trucks....they are notorious for going out under 100k mi

also, a couple guys I know have sold their dodges and bought a duramax, they all say the same thing: the cummins was stronger hands down

The 2nd gen dodges are my favorites. The 47re trans In the autos leaves a lot to be desired. Cheaper to make power with, 12v is the cheapest. I got an 06 cr cummins now and I have 150k on stock trans and it's been pulled it's whole life. Most powerful cummins in stock form IMO

Sent from the mans IPhone.

7.3 powerstroke w a 6 speed hands down most reliable bullet proof truck out there. They run forever and rarely give problems. Hey definitely don't get the milage or have the power of a cummins, you don't get the transmission problems of the dodge

I have a 2002 cummins with a manual trans I bought new. It's pulled its whole life and has over 200k on it. I've been so happy with it I can't bring myself to sell it for something newer. It's hopped up and any issues I've ever had with it were mostly a result of hot rodding.

94-03 fords are AWSOME but I'm biased sometimes. The 12 valve cummins in good to but I do not like the trucks. I do like the way the common rails run though! (03-07)

My 95 Powerstroke, which I drove off the lot, was great when it was running which was less than half the time. Something to do with the glow plugs was recalled years later but dealing with the dealer who said I didn't let them warm up was a pain in the ass. Ether became my best friend even in the summer. I currently use a 97 12valve Cummins and I like it. It's a little cold natured but there are no electronics so you just let it warm up a couple of minutes and you're good. It's got an auto but from what I hear it's the pre 95s that were the worst. Mine is about 200 miles short of 200k and the tranny works fine. Guy I got it from pulled a 36' camper and I pull my jeep so it's been a tow pig all it's life. I hear Duramax is great with programmers but why buy something you have to upgrade to make it perform like other brands stock. My neighbor has a 05 Cummins that I've used a couple of times and it pulls better than any other I've used. Side by side my uncles 03 7.3 I walked off and left him on hills, he could get me on take off though, both pulling simular trailers.

I've had every diesel ever built, lots of em. Best truck-engine combo I've had to date , 2014 ford, power stroke, auto, 3.23 gear. Man this thing pulls! You wouldn't think so with so high of gear. I have three dodges and it out pulls all of them. Plus get nearly twice the fuel milage, loaded and empty. It has 30 k miles on it now if it goes to 300k I'll be happier.

Duramax Bill my 02 was the best truck I have ever owned would pull like hell still got a 03 good truck too

I have a nice 04 four door 6 speed cummins I would sale for $13,000 super nice truck

I've got a 06.5 LBZ Duramax with a built tranny, best overall truck in my opinion. Its got 136k on it, if someone is interested in buying one I'll let mine go

I love my 03 h.o. Cummins , I drove a few 7.3s before they just don't compare to a cummins

Joe Eck

Mortalis5509 said:
Ford 6.4 are pretty good with a lot power on a tuner from the twin turbos.

Worst recommendation in this thread. They can make a ton of power, but they are plauged with problems and get terrible fuel mileage.

I have a 03 7.3 with 260k. Original auto trans. Wouldn't hesitate to drive it to Alaska tomorrow.