• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

what's a good coolant flush product?

fabricator1

Picked up an old diesel welder/generator that needs some help. Just curious if any brands are better

The best thing I have ever used is white vinegar, but not matter what you use, removing the thermostat and a couple sessions with a water hose is needed to get it truly clean

Muratic acid works GREAT but is highly nasty stuff and will eat through various stuff but cleans great!

clutchee said:
Muratic acid works GREAT but is highly nasty stuff and will eat through various stuff but cleans great!

Wow, seriously? You could not pay me to put that in any of my vehicles. :****: I use it daily but it will eat anything metal in seconds.

I use water... remove stat... remove upper hose... insetr garden hose into radiator through upeer hose fitting and run engine.... blipping the throttle each time the water fills the rad (cap off)... when it runs clean i replace the hose and cap and run it that way a day or two and repeat....
Done deal... put stat and antifreeze back in

I have used CLR on both the TJ and XJ that i have with good results....i have had the TYPICAL Jeep heater core problems with both of them.

The way i done mine was to fill the core and lines full of CLR, let it sit for 15 minutes and then FLUSH...i alternated the flow in both directions, forward and reverse until ALL of the derbies came out. I ran it into a white 5 gallon bucket that way i could see when the derbies and sediment stopped coming out of the system.
And this will take a while.

I filled the core up twice with CLR just to get it good and clean, also I was told not to let the CLR sit to long time in the AL core though....after the heater core was clean I then moved to the Radiator, flushing it in both directions...flushed the system with Distilled water then replaced Thermostat and new 50/50 coolant...it's a lengthy process but it seemed to work for me.

SHELBS44 said:
Cascade :****:

Damn skippy. Cascade will cut any oil or other solvents out of the system. It does an ok job with rust and general crap,
Maybe a round or two of clr followed by a water flush then cascade then water flush?