• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

whats a good gravel road tire?

dma251

I am getting back into cruising the forest roads and boondocking with a rtt and a clean old 1991 Nissan Pathfinder.

The truck is mostly stock with factory LSD and warn manual locking hubs. I'm not planning on lifting it or going crazy with it like I have done in the past. Just looking for a good little early-SUV to cruise around in.

So here's what I need - a recommendation for a good tire that handles well on the light gravel-roads, and the highway getting there. Good snow and ice handling on the pavement, but tough sidewalls that can handle getting dragged past a root at Walker valley on the easy stuff. Probably just keep it at 31" on the stock narrow wheels. Gonna get 5 and have a matching spare.

I've had BFG ats before and liked them fine, but I hear good things about the Goodyear Duratracs.
Anyone?

Either of those will do the job you are looking for. I've never ran them but know lots of people that have. I'd go with duratracs personally. I have a buddy that wheels the piss out of them in a 33".

Does he like how the duratracs handle on the hwy?

I get that any tire pretty much will handle a gravel road, but some get a lot more loose and squirrelly than others.

I know I'm overthinking this, but it's a lot of money now to buy 5 good quality tires.

Even when you get them from tirerack and mount them yourself, like I do.

Does he like how the duratracs handle on the hwy?

I get that any tire pretty much will handle a gravel road, but some get a lot more loose and squirrelly than others.

I know I'm overthinking this, but it's a lot of money now to buy 5 good quality tires.

Even when you get them from tirerack and mount them yourself, like I do.

He likes them. I haven't heard anything but good stuff about Duratracs. Good in the snow too.

For a DD rig BFG A/Ts 100% in my book.

I've had two sets on two different street/mild trail rigs. One lasted me 60K miles, the other 40K (not easy on them).