• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What's the best battery?

Mark m.

I need a new battery for my wheeler. It needs to be good for winching and all the usual accessories, lighting, stereo and so on.
I've been running a optima red top for years but it just died and I'm looking for the newest best thing.
Anyone tried the new litium batterys?

Been running a blue top in the Sami for a few yrs now with good results...Just need to get an alternator in there that actually charges more than 10A! :haha:

I have run the blue top optima in my yota with radio all the accesorys been great just bought another one for my el camino. I like them.Seem to work great.

Like TreeClimber said the Sears Diehard Gold Deep cycle. I think the warranty and the price are better than on the Odyssey. I have friends running them in boats with big stereos that sit without running and they work well. There is also a thread on Pirate about this and the possible quality control issues with Optima batteries lately.

My batteries have been stolen a couple times from my truck so I've been getting blem batteries from Interstate off of 128th. They work awesome and I have been switching all of my vehicles over to Interstate.

In that other thread on that other board everyone seeks to be against the wet batteries. Before I put my last pair into my truck I flipped one upside down for a bit and only a couple drops came out. That seems acceptable to me inside of a battery box. You could put an absorbant pad in there if you wanted.

Another nice thing with the wet cells is that I have a solargizer hooked up to keep them topped off and I guess they don't work or are not suggested for the gel type of batteries.

Been running a blue top in the Sami for a few yrs now with good results...Just need to get an alternator in there that actually charges more than 10A! :haha:

had a buddy that worked for interstate and he said if you run a marine deep cycle battery (blue top) and don't discharge it enuf after/during each use, it would actually decrease the life...eat itself up. I had a blue top die in @ 1.5yrs. I'm going on 8 yrs on one of my red tops.

try to recharge it, according to the dry cell chargeing directions. i have heard of several people "bringing back a red top" i guess it worked for me too?

had a buddy that worked for interstate and he said if you run a marine deep cycle battery (blue top) and don't discharge it enuf after/during each use, it would actually decrease the life...eat itself up. I had a blue top die in @ 1.5yrs. I'm going on 8 yrs on one of my red tops.

try to recharge it, according to the dry cell chargeing directions. i have heard of several people "bringing back a red top" i guess it worked for me too?

My blue's been in the Sami for going on 6 yrs now...Only this yr did I have an issue with it, but I blame the lack of charging output of a stock Sami alt....

I have been thru 6 or 7 of the optima red tops in the past 5 years. The OLD redtop has been in my Cougar for a loooooooong time and still works great. The new optimas are **** at best. If they didn't keep getting replaced for free I wouldnt have any of the new ones.

kirkland signature series is the same as interstate. Interstate and optima are the same company. There's only a couple battery manufactures, just many different brands.