• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What's the best battery?

My dad and I only use interstate. His shops a dealer so we get full warranties if need be. They do pretty good, running a winch, lights, stereo, and CB off of one. Never had a problem.......yet.:cool:

My old boss, at an automotive shop, swears by interstate.

Im the boss at my shop and I swear at Optima.

Even Optima Jim cant defend thier POS enough on the net.

Im a firm believer in good ol lead plate acid batteries. They cost me $20 at the wrecking yard.

I dont care what brand they are. I do know one thing tho, I disregard the brand and put the tester on them. The test/tester is supposed to be for 10 seconds (dead short while metered). I hold it for 20. At about 12-15 seconds the **** batteries will drop off fast and not come back up. On the good ones it will drop a bit, then level out and maintain. Thats the one I buy.

The kirkland, interstate, and les schwab truck/4x4 ones seem to test the best.

And PS, if anyone goes to a wrecking yard as per my advice, DONT got to pick and pull and expect to get anything worth a ****.

Go to ta modern wrecking yard that buys NEW cars and trucks owned by people that just bought a new/quality battery.

At the shitty pick and pull and 2 bit yards they will only have POS rigs/baterries.

With quailty batteries lasting 5-7 years, I have no problem with someone else charging my battery for me for 1-2 years beofre I get it. :redneck:

Must say I have been an Interstate believer for well over 20 yrs now, but I have had some really good experiences with Deka at work (Both wet, and AGM's)...They are built in the US, and comparing the group 65 batteries (Ford PSD), they (Deka) are heavier due to more plates than the Interstate MTP65...and have more reserve, and CCA's than the Interstates as well...:awesomework:

NEVER mount the winch leads to the side posts. It will burn them right out with the kinda stucks you find! :redneck:
So whats the diff if they are mounted on the side or top? I never had any trouble with the winch mounted on the side post but matbe thats why mine is toast. My winch seems to get a lot of work.

So whats the diff if they are mounted on the side or top? I never had any trouble with the winch mounted on the side post but matbe thats why mine is toast. My winch seems to get a lot of work.

Take a close look at the side posts next time you have a battery on the bench. All that is there for threads is a nut with lead pressed in around it. One good winch session and the nut will heat up and melt the lead.

The yellow top from '03 in my wifes truck kicks ass, I've gone through a pile of red tops, they all puke eventually. **** optima. My next battery will be a die hard platinum.

My vote is Interstate for your DD, truck, etc.

Odyssey's are the top choice for your wheeling rig. As stated, the DIehard Platinum is a rebadged Odyssey, but ONLY in the Group 34/ PC1500 size. IF that works, buy it at Sears, they're regularly on sale for just over $200. That being said, I stock Odyssey PC1200's and PC1500's and can get many of the other sizes same day or next day and be competitive on them price-wise.

John
Auburn Car Repair & Offroad

I almost went with the Sears Platinum for $220.00 last month.

Instead I just went back to a wet battery from Walmart. Half the price, same CCA's and a 100% no questions asked 3 year warranty.

I don't do anything extreme enough to worry about flopping/rolling/etc.

Well I got a $20 interstate that looks new and tests very high yesterday at Rollins Wrecking.

for $20 now, I can get $10 out of it when its no good. Plus while I was there I found a set of disc brakes off of a 71 chev for the ol whitey.

I'm running a big wet cell battery that came out of a powerstroke... it's got a big red, white and blue sticker on it that says "SureFire".... I modified the stock wrangler tray to fit it's girth. I have no idea what CCA's it is, but it sure works good. So... if you can find one of those, get it. :redneck::redneck::redneck:

I'm running a big wet cell battery that came out of a powerstroke... it's got a big red, white and blue sticker on it that says "SureFire".... I modified the stock wrangler tray to fit it's girth. I have no idea what CCA's it is, but it sure works good. So... if you can find one of those, get it. :redneck::redneck::redneck:

Would be a group 65, somewhere in the range of ~850ish CCA, with roughly 125minutes reserve...

I might try a Deka intimidator. It's a AGM 34/78 and they're only $127.50. R E Auto Elec in Tacoma said they have yet to have one come back which is more than I can say about my shitty red top.

When I was selling parts, had a guy come in with a "dead" red top. Threw it on the trickle charger overnight and threw it in my pathfinder the next day. just switched it over to my jeep a little while ago with the new winch and lights. its been almost 2 years now and havent had an issue. Although i did see a few optimas come back. Interstates are always really good it seems like. Its just like anything else, everyone has their favorite. I will say this though, My dad and I run a Odyssey battery in our Drag Bike and havent had to change it in around 10 years.

I might try a Deka intimidator. It's a AGM 34/78 and they're only $127.50. R E Auto Elec in Tacoma said they have yet to have one come back which is more than I can say about my shitty red top.

I run deka intimadators in all my rigs. You can buy them direct from the mfg in the tilt ups off of 112th and steele. Best battery out hands down.

Latest posts