• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Whats the difference between a 2wd and 4wd th400?

pholmann

Ok so I was wondering what the difference is between the 2wd and 4wd models of the th400. I have several 2wd models and it has the correct amount of output stickout for the long atlas adapter and the 4wd trans I have has the short output stickout. Will the longer adapter work on a 2wd trans with the tail shaft housing removed? Its still the right spline count. I figured I would get plenty of input before I buy a 275$ adapter.

There is a 2wd shaft that works in the 4wd adapters, it is what was in my last buggy. The 2wd will have a threaded hole in the end vs. a solid shaft in the 4wd. I'm not sure how many variations there are total, just that one of the 2wds works in the 4wd application.

Random internet pic:

th400shafts%20002.jpg

From here: http://offroaddesign.com/TH400Tech.htm

I'm gonna order my adapter first of the week. I just wanted to do my homework first. I hate having to deal with a sending **** back.

pholmann said:
It would appear that I don't need to. But yes I can build em and it's pretty easy to swap it.

I have broke a couple of tail shafts in my Toyota before if that helps??? :driving: don't blame on not wanting to ship stuff back. I hate that ****!!!

this is off topic a little bit but does anyone know the difference in a th350 and a th400 mounting locations and the overall length of the 2?? Pretty much can I bolt a th400 in place of my th350??

The th400 is at least a couple inches longer, extra pack of clutches and all that fun stuff. Simple answer is no, not without a good bit of work in redoing xmembers.