• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

whats your opinion?

geodiver

so i have recently bought my first project....1985 toyota 4runner. the previous owner swapped out the 22re with a ford 302 (nothing was cut in the swap, he actually did a really nice job). but kept the stock transmission. reverse gear is blown. rear end is out of a 1989 toyota p/u but other than that the rest of the truck is all there. interior is perfect even the headliner in the canopy. but back to the transmission...what would you guys suggest for a transmission that would stand up to the v8 a little better than the stock one?

You have a 25 year old transmission. Unless it was recently rebuilt, there is no reason to assume that the failure was due to the V8. Especially since it's blown in reverse, not the forward gears, where the V8 would be used to more of it's potential.

Have seen guys run toy tranys with a v8 and have no issues. The trany is old as treeclimber said so maybe just rebuild it.

What are your plans for the rig?

Look into Marlin Crawler's red case tranny. They use them for racing and we have never had an issue with them. While we did not have a V-8... we had a hot 4 banger and we were not nice to the tranny one bit.
:D

You killed a W56a that is the weakest W series trans you could have had. Either step up to a W59 out of a taco and put a $300 adapter to a gear driven t case and swap the input in the t case to 231 spline or go with a Marlin rebuilt W56d.

Put a C4 in it. AA sells an adaptor to the toy case. 302's are great swaps into toys, fit much better that the chevy's. I miss mine.

Get rid of that lite duty crap and put a trans that origionally came behind a V-8. C4 is the way I would go.

I took reverse out of my W56 with a worn out 22RE. I was being pretty hard rocking it in the lake bed at Rimrock back in high school but... Quick, cheap, and easy throw another dime a dozen W56 back in and get her back on the road. It'll last as long as you pay attention to your limits until you can aford something a stronger and the adapters to go with.

c4 it and up grade your tcase internals to hold, along with the axles. once a part takes a sh*t its time to upgrade, but then again how much do you really wanna spend under it and on it??????