• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

wheel base ??????

tennessee_4x4_man

guys i need a little info building a woods truck s 10 cab reg cab going to run rock wells with 44 to 47 needing and i deal on how long wheel base needs to be no shorter than 110 i know if you get to long not haveing rear sterr is a problum we just built a jeep its 121 with rocks but long way from testing it out i was thinking 110 to 125 ???? any info i would aprechet sorry for the spelling hopr ever one can read it i like the idea 110 to 115 would that be safe on hills

Re:

My old yota crawler was 113 with linked rear and leaf sorung front, after Angryfab linked the front, it ended up being 118.5". Had about 24" of belly clearance and even with that, it still felt long, but also seemed better overall than the 113" it was prior.

I have rocks. I thought 120 was long until a got on violator and backside at choc. I wouldn't go any shorter if your planning on nasty hill climbs. If you not doing the big boy hills you could go a little shorter n

my xcab s10 truggy was about 117" on 42s. imo, was almost a perfect setup for trail riding. when it was 122", it was a little worse with tight turns and we went down to the 117" when the rear was linked

I have had several different rigs over the years and my personal favorite for all round wheeling had a wheel base of 123" on 44" tires.

My current rig has a 127.5" wheel base and if it wasn't for rear steer it would be a bitch imo.

Also a lot depends on your expected belly clearance.

20130920_153309_zps65c7a589.jpg
[/URL]

my first s10 was 116 wheel base, this s10 is 124 wheel base, ,,,, 120 i think would be better ):

Cuz you took the wrong line doofus. Tried to be a hero walkin the tallest part of the ledge

Be glad it wasn't last spring. You'd of almost drown right there. Lol

Carry on

LightBnDr said:
Cuz you took the wrong line doofus. Tried to be a hero walkin the tallest part of the ledge

Be glad it wasn't last spring. You'd of almost drown right there. Lol

Carry on
You must have been spotting him.

I went 115 and it works for me. If your hill killing id go longer but id say not over 125 unless rear stead is added

Eddyj said:
I have rocks. I thought 120 was long until a got on violator and backside at choc. I wouldn't go any shorter if your planning on nasty hill climbs. If you not doing the big boy hills you could go a little shorter n
But Eddy.... 100" wheelbase **** all over violator just yesterday! The showtime made the driver almost **** all over himself. Hahahah. No rocks tho.. And 40" tires not beast like the OP is talking. I would think you would want 120 ish also. Would also think belly height has ALOT to do with wheelbase. Unless you like to seesaw. Haha

RebelRider said:
You must have been spotting him.
Hey you keep your ratchet strapped Yota tcase outta this

At least you know what it feels like to be on the pass side in that hole on a flop! Lol

LightBnDr said:
Hey you keep your ratchet strapped Yota tcase outta this

At least you know what it feels like to be on the pass side in that hole on a flop! Lol
That ratchet strap saved my weekend! I still haven't replaced the passenger window.
On another note. I'm at 130" on my WB. It's rather long, but we will see how it works in the woods.

105" thru 115" for Trail Wheelin / Rock Crawlin....115" thru 120" for Hill Hittin / Rock Bouncin.

And my Green n Purple Trail Rig / Rock Crawler has been at 100" on 38's for 8 years and I like it...BUT, I would not mind movin the frontend forward bout 5" ;D

Oh and anything longer than 120" really?... if yer that scared of goin over backerds you need to stay at the house anyway :****:

ScottsPics said:
Oh and anything longer than 120" really?... if yer that scared of goin over backerds you need to stay at the house anyway :****:
Fear of rolling isn't always the reason for a stretched WB. In my case, I'm still running a cab truck, so pushing the front out was necessary to get the pinion out of the oil pan, while keeping it low. Now if it turns out to be too much, I'll bring the rear axle forward about 10".

kushKrawlin said:
But Eddy.... 100" wheelbase **** all over violator just yesterday! The showtime made the driver almost **** all over himself. Hahahah. No rocks tho.. And 40" tires not beast like the OP is talking. I would think you would want 120 ish also. Would also think belly height has ALOT to do with wheelbase. Unless you like to seesaw. Haha
Yeah, yeah, I seen it happen. If I wouldn't have dropped oil pressure I would have made that hill or made a hell of a video trying. You know my diving style, I'm all about finesse and control. Slow and easy, if your spinning you ain't winning! :flipoff1:

Kush, What's your belly height?

I just set mine at 115" YJ on tons and 43s. 3 link front and am finishing up the 4 link rear now. I think it'll give me a good mix of being able to do a little bit of everything.