• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wheeling 4/12

That was one long day. I got home at 9pm. I arrived in the lower lot at about 8:15 am. A group of 3 jeeps arrived right after so I tagged along with them. We started up 311. 5 minutes in a CJ7 tore his steering box off the frame. We got it strapped back on so he could head down. One rig went with him and 2 of us headed up a little further to see how the trail was before heading back down. There is a spot in the trail with rock on the left and a bypass on the right. We went left where my tires slipped and sent my truck sideways to the slope. Drivers front tire came way up and I felt the truck teeter before it came slowly down. Close call. Headed back to the lot and met a larger group of Jeeps and went back up the 311 a bit further before a jeep broke his front drive shaft. Headed down. Met a Toyota truck and Samurai headed up 311 so tagged along with them. We made it up 311 to its highest point before we hit snow. It felt like snow cone consistency and was slick as ice. We didn't make it far before decided to bag it and head back. It was really dangerous snow.

Went up 102 to where it hits FS7920. Some CJ's coming down said that 198 and 520 were open to the top, but we never made it that far. 7920 in both directions was impassable. We made it up 102 to 7920 at about 5pm where we noticed my drivers front spring pack was shedding leaves. Center bolt broke, castor shim was gone and leaves were all askew. Took about 45 minutes to tear it apart and line it all back up. All we could scrounge was a bolt long enough to hold the top 3 leaves. Tightened the Ubolts enough to get back down to the parking lot and then used a ratchet strap to hold the axle lined up (didn't need it, but I felt better) and drove home keeping it under 40.

The snow is really cruddy now. Even the Sammy who usually floats on snow was getting stuck and almost slid off the side. I'd wait a couple weeks for some more snow to melt off.

Ran into this on 102.

Fixed it