• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wheeling a TH400 -- Manual valve body or not and why

TURNEROFFROAD

I'm curious to hear the input from this, I've not ran any High Horse rigs (not this hi horse anyway) and was curious to see what you all thought. I do have rear steer and just wasn't sure how Bizy ya are with a manual VB and rear steer. I'm leaning towards it, but a tweaked full auto would be kinda nice I think once dialed in. So what do ya'll say?

1. Full manual valve body---with or withour reverse pattern

2. Full Auto----with or without reverse pattern

I prefer a manual valvebody myself..Gives you the option of taking off in 2nd or higher gear if you got the ponies to pull it..This is something that isn't recommended but for some situations its worth the hurt on the tranny for instant wheelspeed..Forward shift pattern for me :dblthumb:

I run a reverse manual in my 700r4. With 5.88s in the axles and a 3.06 1st gear , I use 1st like a granny gear and I can go from 1st to reverse quickly. $.02

I am running a th400 behind my 6.0 manual valve body went with manual so i didnt have to running any lines expect for cooler lines simple clean and easy the only thing i would change on mine is i will be changen to reverse pattern valve body sucks ass tryn to go thru gears before flop

I run a manual reverse pattern in my 400 reverse pattern was the only thing I could find for a gm400, anyways I like the option of taking off in second for the wheel speed but I had to build my trans to be bompproof I don't see any disadvantages at all it does make it faster going to reverse, but taking off in second puts all the load on just the sprag gear itself instead of the entire drum but I just put the best parts in mine I could find and it seems to be holding up pretty well so far. Just my 2 pennies.

tbacon38 said:
I run a manual reverse pattern in my 400 reverse pattern was the only thing I could find for a gm400, anyways I like the option of taking off in second for the wheel speed but I had to build my trans to be bompproof I don't see any disadvantages at all it does make it faster going to reverse, but taking off in second puts all the load on just the sprag gear itself instead of the entire drum but I just put the best parts in mine I could find and it seems to be holding up pretty well so far. Just my 2 pennies.

Thanks for the input guys...

I've been back and forth on torque converter stall speed. I want to try a 2000rpm stall so I can still crawl but I don't wanna keep my motor from "lighting". Any thoughts on walking that fine line????

I have been running a rmvb in my th400 and I like it. Easy to go from 1 to R, no vacuum modulator, can start in 2nd. Put a 34 element sprag in when building it.
FWIW- I am using a PTC 10" 2500 stall converter, tightened it up from a 3000 stall. It will start moving the truck at about 1500 rpm while crawling in low gear, flashes higher when you punch it. 1500 rpm is about 500 over my idle speed so I am happy with it now.