• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

wheelinjp's shot at an xj build

wheelinjp

ok so I have been absent for quite a while. I wont make any promises that this one will get finished but Im gonna try. I was on the injured list for a long time but now I am back to work, lost some weight, still have alot to go, but ready to start over with a simple mild build.I picked up this 89 cherokar for 5hundy saturday and drove it 40 miles home. Thats a good start right there haha. Im shooting for 33's and typical xj built stuff. This will serve as a second vehicle and a street/trail rig driven to the woods. On to rig specs.

specs:
1989 cherokee limited
4.0L auto 242 tcase.
dana 30f/ 8.25 r/ open f/r with 3.55
30 9.50 open country a/t's on stock rims
runs and drives but needs a front unit bearing very badly.

plans:
4in front coils w/ me made custom long arm
rear lift springs with shackle pocket mod
steel body protection, rear rocker corners, sliders, bumpers.
t-case swap to 231j w/ sye
auto lockup box for manual shifts
repair botched abs delete upgrade
detroit rear, lockrite front
33 or 34in tall 10.5 wide tires of some kind,

cherocarbringhome_zpsabdcf0e9.jpg

Last edited:
sounds like a good rig for your family Sean(even if its just a glorified station wagon without a frame) . I would however reconsider the lockrite in the front (without locking hubs) though if your going to be driving it on the road much.

ok so I have been absent for quite a while. I wont make any promises that this one will get finished but Im gonna try. I was on the injured list for a long time but now I am back to work, lost some weight, still have alot to go, but ready to start over with a simple mild build.I picked up this 89 cherokar for 5hundy saturday and drove it 40 miles home. Thats a good start right there haha. Im shooting for 33's and typical xj built stuff. This will serve as a second vehicle and a street/trail rig driven to the woods. On to rig specs.

specs:
1989 cherokee limited
4.0L auto 242 tcase.
dana 30f/ 8.25 r/ open f/r with 3.55
30 9.50 open country a/t's on stock rims
runs and drives but needs a front unit bearing very badly.

plans:
4in front coils w/ me made custom long arm
rear lift springs with shackle pocket mod
steel body protection, rear rocker corners, sliders, bumpers.
t-case swap to 231j w/ sye
auto lockup box for manual shifts
repair botched abs delete upgrade
detroit rear, lockrite front
33 or 34in tall 10.5 wide tires of some kind,

cherocarbringhome_zpsabdcf0e9.jpg

Come Awn buddy!!!!!We need to wheel again!!!!!:stirpot::awesomework:

thanks for the heads up on the locker jim. I didnt even think of that. Yes bill I cant wait to wheel again. Im gathering parts right now and hope to be installing them soon. :mad::awesomework:

first things first though, I got my dpf filter delete stuff in the mail and will hopefully be putting it all on my dodge this weekend. rollin coal and better mileage(i know those 2 dont go hand in hand typically haha) here I come.

Last edited:
Ohhh the dreaded XJ build :fawkdancesmiley:

If you have any questions just ask :awesomework: Your building pretty much my rig....

sounds like a good rig for your family Sean(even if its just a glorified station wagon without a frame) . I would however reconsider the lockrite in the front (without locking hubs) though if your going to be driving it on the road much.

Won't make a lick of difference unless you are in 4wd.

I daily drove my TJ with detroits front and rear for years. Never had any problems.

Im gathering more parts. I will be dragging home a parts cherokee tomorrow I should start building a long arm lift pretty soon. I will try and get a better pic of it this weekend. :awesomework:

well I just got a great deal on a used rubicon express 3.5in short arm lift with rear springs for $140. so im thinking use the rear springs, and sell the front part for 150. then Im 10 dollars closer to my long arm kit. might just throw it on with my 4.5in springs and wheel it. long arm it later. :awesomework:

not much to update. Just found and hope to score a trackbar tonight for this and found new set of shocks for 100 bucks from a buddy. I think im gonna try to throw this lift in next weekend. I just got done doing unit bearings and brakes up front. Now the grinding noise is gone but it still shimmies over 45. The lack of swaybar bushings and 2 bad tre's might explain that. I will try to replace those tomorrow or at least by the time I do the lift. :awesomework:

holy crap I thought i posted progress pics. I have the rear leafs almost out right now, just came in to take drugs. haha. so here are pics from last weekend up till today. the front is done for now. I left the sway bar off but might put it back on. depends on how it drives. I had a lil trouble with the track bar this week. bought two on craigslist. One for a 3 1/2 -4 1/2 in lift from rubicon express that uses the stock mount and one from rustys with the frame bracket making it mount in double shear but is for a 6-8in lift. For now Im at 4 1/2 in of lift but had to use the rustys to make it work with the bracket. So I might have to grab some coil spacers when I go long arm and box out the rear shackle pocket. ok on to really small untechnical cell phone pics.

starting disassembly
xjlifting1_zps3d32e0c7.jpg

installing coils
xjlifting3_zpsb7b9d215.jpg

frront up but no trackbar
xjlifting4_zps5219ee4e.jpg

front done
xjlifting5_zps107a625a.jpg

out posing before the rear is done.
xjlifting6_zps434bc157.jpg