• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Where to get a stronger driveshaft?

cjunknxs

Getting the bugs worked out of the new buggy and on the shake down run broke the ears off of the driveshaft, didn't even break the 1350 spicer u joint. Good news is that I found the weak link. I had the DS built locally by truck pro and figure I only want to have driveshafts built twice, once, so as to the question who builds the best? I plan on calling Tom woods on Monday butt I thought I would see who Hardline recommends.

Yep. Talk to Dave if you are in the area. He has most parts, but you'll need to get the thick wall tube.

If Dave's was in my area I most definitely would stop and check him out but, I'm in NW Arkansas so I figure I will have to phone this one in. I may call him Monday as well just to compare pricing and such. Thanks for the suggestions.

Are you sure it didn't max out the joint and bind it up?

You say it broke the ears off, but not the ujoint? Did something that truck pro actually did fail (weld?)etc

Doesn't sound like you need a "stronger" driveshaft that could be fixed by someone else putting the parts together....

I'm pretty sure it wasn't binding. It broke the hoops out of the weld yoke on the DS. It's a two piece DS and the yoke on the front of the carrier bearing still had the u joint attached with u bolts still intact, the other two ears of the u joint that go in the weld yoke is where it broke. I figure it may have had a defect in the cast, or my heavy foot. I really would have expected the u joint to fail first. I'll take some pics of it tomorrow and post. Thanks again.

I will definitely call them tomorrow. I would like for this not to happen again so soon.
e5a8y6yh.jpg
sagy6u4u.jpg

Ordered a driveshaft from Oliver's on Monday, it shipped on Tuesday and the brown truck dropped it off today, that's what I call a quick turnaround. Beefy driveshaft, great service, great price!
emy9umyb.jpg

Ok, so I must have came down with my foot still on the gas because I have successfully twisted the splines on my slip yoke. After that occurred the "slip" refused to slip and pushed the pinion into the ring gear to deep and chewed the pinion up pretty good and got some of the teeth on the ring gear. So my question is what are all the throttle junkies doing for driveshafts to help prevent this type of carnage other than not coming down still on the gas cause that's going to happen from time to time.

Big ass slip splines from High Angle or the like.

Like the kind that the female end is a slug welded into the tube, not a piece with a yoke on the end

cjunknxs said:
Ok, so I must have came down with my foot still on the gas because I have successfully twisted the splines on my slip yoke. After that occurred the "slip" refused to slip and pushed the pinion into the ring gear to deep and chewed the pinion up pretty good and got some of the teeth on the ring gear. So my question is what are all the throttle junkies doing for driveshafts to help prevent this type of carnage other than not coming down still on the gas cause that's going to happen from time to time.

Tom Woods and like said above. Big ass splines. I have dent the tubing from landing on stuff and even blew out 1410 Atlas yokes and tom woods ujojnts but so far haven't broke a shaft of theirs. I believe they made mine out of 3/8" thick tubing on the barrel.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to fix the one I have for now then have another one built with "Big Ass Splines" and use my current one for a spare. Oliver's said he could build me one with brush hog splines which sounds similar to what you all are talking about.

Re: Re: Where to get a stronger driveshaft?

High angle driveline. A lot of drop before binding. Even builds flangs for super strong shafts. A lot koh guys run his stuff. He builds some stupid strong shafts depending on your pocket change.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta