• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Where to wheel in TX and OK?

GONOVRIT

This is a trip I want to make sometime. I know of a couple places in each state but I'd like to learn about the rest. Things I need to know are how much wheeling is there for buggys? Can the place be wheeled during the week? Is there lodging near by or on site?

Re:

Only place I've been is Disney, it's open access all the time as far as I know. It's run by the Grand River Dam Authority.

In OK Burris Valley Ranch is where its at IF you like slow technical rock crawling. Its bad ass and will test your nerves and find the weak spots in your rig.

Clayton, Ok can be wheeled during the week. Some of the best buggy wheeling around IMO. No lodging at the park, but some in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As stated, Burris Valley and Clayton are both bad ass places. Big rocks that will test all skill levels.

Clayton can be wheeled 24/7 for $20 a day. Burris Valley is only open on certain weekends but I think it was $20 a day as well.

Arbuckle offroad park in Troy ok is worth checking out if you like the high traction type of rocks.

K2 and Wolf Caves down in central Tex is also very high traction rocks and lots of fun.

You could spend a few days at Burris Valley, then head over 30 miles to Clayton and spend a few days. If you are still in one piece you could drive an hour west to Arbuckle and wheel a day. Once you get enough of Oklahoma you could then head south into TX to wheel K2 and Wolf Caves. That would be a hell of a trip if you could keep the rig together.

Monstercrawler said:
As stated, Burris Valley and Clayton are both bad ass places. Big rocks that will test all skill levels.

Clayton can be wheeled 24/7 for $20 a day. Burris Valley is only open on certain weekends but I think it was $20 a day as well.

Arbuckle offroad park in Troy ok is worth checking out if you like the high traction type of rocks.

K2 and Wolf Caves down in central Tex is also very high traction rocks and lots of fun.

You could spend a few days at Burris Valley, then head over 30 miles to Clayton and spend a few days. If you are still in one piece you could drive an hour west to Arbuckle and wheel a day. Once you get enough of Oklahoma you could then head south into TX to wheel K2 and Wolf Caves. That would be a hell of a trip if you could keep the rig together.

Pretty much this. I haven't been to Burris Valley yet but its on my list. Clayton is my favorite so far. I know its not in either but Hot Springs in Arkansas is awesome to wheel as well.

The owner of wolf caves told us he would open anytime of the week....just to give a call before showing up

Monstercrawler said:

This is exactly what I'm thinking. I just did a 2wk 6000mi trip including much of the hardest trails In Utah and Colorado, for the second yr in a row. I've had an eye on BVR, wonder if we could get them to open for a couple days early in the wk and score a guide? I know it's a lot to ask but I've done similar things before.

GONOVRIT said:
This is exactly what I'm thinking. I just did a 2wk 6000mi trip including much of the hardest trails In Utah and Colorado, for the second yr in a row. I've had an eye on BVR, wonder if we could get them to open for a couple days early in the wk and score a guide? I know it's a lot to ask but I've done similar things before.

Get a hold of Roland at BVR. He is the guy in charge and would probably hook you up on a guided trail run. Here is his number (from a thread he posted on Pirate) 713-806-9410. Hes a super cool dude and will show you a good time.

I have done all the parks mentioned except Arbuckle. My favorite is Burris Vally Ranch, the place is just massive and the rocks are insane, they also have a great place to stay right on the property but it is in the middle of nowhere so bring food and gas. This is mostly a park for buggies, in my opinion, I'm on 43 stickies and ori's and still had trouble.

I was just at K2 this past Saturday cabins and food on the property make is a nice place to wheel. You could probably get it all in two days but would have to be moving. I agree with the above do BVR and Clayton the head down and do K2 and Wolf caves which are pretty much right behind each other.

There are many long trails with a lot of rock for crawling. Very nice place if it wasn't 7 hours away I'd go more often :****:

GONOVRIT said:
So how much wheeling is in hot springs, AR? From more a crawling aspect than hill climbing.

been many years from when I've been there, but a great park. long trails with a good mixture of everything. would love to go again and I think they've opened up more stuff as well.

GONOVRIT said:
So how much wheeling is in hot springs, AR? From more a crawling aspect than hill climbing.
I live in Hot Springs and wheeled there for 10 years now. The park is very well managed, trails maintains and clearly marked, very close to town and amenitities. It's nice being so close to town because the wives and children can do other things while you wheel, it that's not their cup of tea. Hot Springs is a national park, so tons to do in the outdoors, thermal hot baths with magical (LOL) healing powers, surrounded by three lakes in the area, Oaklawn horse racing in the spring, Magic Springs amusement park. So much to do aside from some of the best wheeling in the country, in my biased opinion.