• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Which 4.3

mcbadwish

Will I be happy with any of the chevy 4.3's in my toyota? Or should I look for a newer vortec one? Truck is a 87 solid axle on 35's, 5.29s, going to get the adaptor to run the toyota trans.

Will I be happy with any of the chevy 4.3's in my toyota? Or should I look for a newer vortec one? Truck is a 87 solid axle on 35's, 5.29s, going to get the adaptor to run the toyota trans.

I can't say one way or another about which 4.3 to run, I know myself I'd run a TBI one but that's because I'm a cheapskate. I would advise against running the Toy 5 speed behind one though. They're just not that strong IMO. Perfect opportunity to swap to an automatic anyway.

The tbi is easy to wire up. We put one in a sami with a aftermarket harness and it works great. The sami rips .:awesomework:

Whichever you choose get the motor as complete as you can, much easier than piecing together the intake, accessories, harness, etc later.

And if you go TBI I would look for the newer style front end accessories with the serpentine belt and aluminum brackets. I used an older ('86) Astro van motor and changed everything out to 94-95ish S-10 accessories. I wish I had just pulled a newer, complete motor to begin with. :beer:

If you're adamant about running a toy 5 speed behind it you can always move up to an R151F. Should last a little longer since they were essentially the same trans that ran behind 3rd gen supra's, which had a lil more power then the 4.3.

some 92 and all 93s have the CPI Vortec which is 190 HP vs 160....or whatever. also seems easy to wire.

well I bought a 94 s10 today with a vortec tbi in it. 200,000 on the clock with a burnt down auto got it for 200 bucks any one that needs any s10 parts let me know.

SSA50044.jpg

SSA50047.jpg

SSA50047.jpg

Last edited:
kinda funny i walked thru pull a part and didnt find one. tons of passenger side but no drivers....

i need the whole thing so nevermind.