• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

which dana60?

dobber

anybody using a dodge front 60 in their wheeling rig? looking at a front 60 out of 91 dodge, just wondering how they rate compared to a chevy 60?

They are a great choice except for two exceptions.

1.. the dana 61. While not useless it will present a challenge to set up deep gears and a locker.

2.. bolt on hubs. Most dodge front ends that are not 61a have bolt on hubs (junk) and need a spindle and rotor change to get away form them. Some of the later ones have internal spline hubs and are not 61s, but are hard to find.

The bonus to using a dodge 60 is they are 2 inches narrower than a chevy. 67 vs 69 inches wide.

I was using a dodge frontend till I realized it was bent. The new rockjock is dodge width tho.:D

A '91 dodge should be the cream of the crop. 2" narrower than a Chevy, but uses internal hubs vs the earilier ones external hubs.

Other than that close enough to identical to a Chevy. Oh ya, the perches are on different centers, but not that much.

Last 3 years of the old body style Dodge got the best choice. 91, 92, 93 IIRC. After that it went driver's side drop and unit bearings.

as mentioned before the external ones are a pain (I am running one) but it sound like you got a good year. Big Bonus on them being a bit narrower. Running a dana 61 isnt a big deal unless you want to run really really deep gears... just need to have a spacer to run them like a normal 60.

ive got a 93 dodge 60 i'll be using.

basically what was said above. should be a solid choice.
it being 2" narrower was my reason for choosing it.

a 91 dodge has internal hubs thats funny i have a 60 from a 91 92 and a 93 and not one of them has internal hubs thay all have external locking hubs?

Then they're not 91, 92, or 93s. You won't see a cummins truck in those years with an external hub setup. You do know the difference right? People think an internal setup is an external because they have to get out and manually lock them in, but thats not what it means...

Dana 61 Tech- Can it be Geared, what are the advantages
Tech:
Most of the rears are the big spindles and can run 35 spline shafts without being bored, not all check them to be sure before getting to involved! Most of the 61's we have seen come with 3.07 gears, in order to run the 3.07 gears and fit the monster pinion head in there dana changed the offset of the pinion by changing the housing not the carrier. Dana 61's did however come w/ 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10 gears. The best advatage to these, they are cheap b/c the Q of whether or not they can be geared is a bit mystical. And the good news is they can be regeared!
Gearing:
This is how you get one to work. There was a a dana 60 spacer made by Reider that allowed you to run the lower ratio gear ie 4.56 and up. I believe this spacer was 5/8 thick. It required the 4.56 and up dana 60 carrier and the ring gear spacer to get the offset needed. This said spacer seems to be just a legend now and has been discontinued. However their still is the Mr. gasket dana 60 spacer (5/16 thickness) that just about every drivetrain company sells. This spacer is designed to allow you to run the 4.56 and up gears on a 4.10 and down carrier for a regular 60. This spacer does come into play but need not be confused w/ the legendary Rieder spacer, they are of different thickness.
Alas there is a dana/spicer Dana 61- 3.33 and up carrier part# 706400x. This carrier is 2 3/4 tall. Where as the dana 60 4.56 and up carrier part# 706041x is 2 7/16 tall. So what combination do you need to run which gear ratio? If you have a dana 61 that has 3.07 gears in it and you want to run 3.33-4.30 gears, you will need to run the dana 61 3.33 and up carrier part# 706400x or the dana 60 4.56 and up carrier with a 5/16 ring gear spacer. This is popular for people who are trying to regear a 3.07 dodge cummins and the like front 61 that has a non overdrive auto, If you switch to a manual or to an oerdrive auto transmission, you will likely want some lower gearing that is how you get it.
If you have a dana 61 with 3.33 or higher gear ratio all you need is a 5/16 ring gear spacer to run 4.56's and up.
If you have a dana 61 with 3.07 gears and you want to go to 4.56 or numerically higher gear ratio you will need to purchase a dana 61 3.33 and up carrier part# 706400x and a 5/16 ring gear spacer to achieve the desired offset. Or have a 5/8 ring gear spacer custom machined. This is popular for the guys trying to score a cheap front or rear 60's and gear it for offroad use.

Last edited:
70 gears into a 61

I think Karl Jantz can put some of the deeper D70 gears in a D61 pretty easily.:corn:
Thats "Carl Jantz" and yes my kits fit D70 gears into 60 or 61s. And for the 61 if you use the thick 70 gear sets with a 4.56 & up Dana 70 carrier you won't even need the spacer.

Last edited:
I have a '91 dodge d60 in the front of my '92 YJ and it's great. Like everyone says, it's 2" narrower than a chevy, so that's nice, the pumpkin is the exact same, tubes, everything, it's kingpin so that's always sweet, it's internal style hubs, so sweet again. The stock and aftermarket locking hubs aren't great for strength, I blew warn premiums up a lot, and the stock 30 spline stubs are weak, I broke them too. But the inner shafts are 35 spline, so sweet one more time. Upgrade to some Spicer 35 spine stubs or some aftermarket shaft 35 spline stubs, and drive flanges, and they are pretty tough. I got Superior chromo shafts, CTM 300M drive flanges, Longfield 300M u-joints, a detroit locker, 5.38's, hi-steer and hydro assist on mine, and I love it. Grab it and you should have a great upgrade! The only thing that makes it slightly worse than a chevy 60 is the two studs on the passenger side that hold the spring plate down against the spring, I believe the bolts/studs are 9/16" and they are 5/8" on chevy's, and they are just a very small amount closer to each other on the dodge than on the Chevys, but that's the ONLY downside I see to the dodge vs. the chevy front 60.