• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Which Length Shocks? Help Please...

84Toyota4x4

Ok, so Im trying to set up shocks for the first time, and Im having trouble deciding which shocks to run on my truck. I have both 12" and 14" 5125 Bilsteins. Im trying to figure this out for the front. The rear is ok, Im pretty sure Im using the 12" shocks. I could actually probably get away with 10" shocks, but thats not what this is about right now.

Anyway, here are some measurements, as well as shock dimensions. Help me decide which ones to use please :eeek:

Front full extension - 30"
Front full compression - 18.5" (front springs are basically flat at about 19.5", slight negative at 18.5")

Rear full extension - 24"
Rear full compression - 19.5"

12" shock full extension - 29.7"
12" shock full compression - 17.91"

14" shock full extension - 34.9"
14" shock full compression - 20.75"

Im thinking I can pull off the 12" shocks in the front if I pull the stock shock mounts, move them in a little, and use taller ones, that will make the front full extension less than the 29.7" that the 12" shocks are. This obviously means the compression will be more, but bump stops will solve that.

However, if I use the 14" shocks, I have to limit my compression a bit down to 21" or so, versus the 19" or so I could do with the 12" shocks if I make the lower mounts higher. The advantage to this is I dont have to worry about droop, which means I dont have to move the stock lower mounts or mess with all that, just build bump stops and go.

The rears fall right into the rage of the 12" shocks, so I think I will be fine with that, right?

All opinions are welcome. It seems like using the 14" shocks up front will be "easiest" because of needing to do less fab work, but I dont really want "easier", I want "right".

~T.J.

What are you using for upper shock mounts in the front? Could you go a bit longer (maybe the popular Ford mounts) so you're not limiting travel and you still wouldn't bottom out your shocks?

Well, that almost makes sense, but not.

If I move the lower mount up an inch with the 14s, I would be losing even more compression and the bump stops would have to be lower because the shock will compress sooner with the taller mount, and need a lower bump stop.

I really only need to move the lower mount if I run the 12s. Im just wondering if its worth it to run the 12s for the extra couple inches of compression I will get out of them because of the shorter body and sacraficing the extension. Or would it be better to run the 14s and lose a couple inches of compression because of the longer body, but keep the full extension.

I guess it comes down to if I want more compression, or more extension. I think Id rather have the extension because if I limit the compression with bumpstops, I feel it will make the rear suspension work more potentially... Maybe?

~T.J.

Obviously that was me posting from Ashleys computer...

Any other opinions? This is the last thing I have to do really, and I would like to get it tied up so to speak and maybe take it out this weekend.

~T.J.

Well, that almost makes sense, but not.

If I move the lower mount up an inch with the 14s, I would be losing even more compression and the bump stops would have to be lower because the shock will compress sooner with the taller mount, and need a lower bump stop.

I think Boonie meant to move the upper mount up an inch (move/modify your hoops), and drop the bumpstops an inch. This effectively gives you 2 more inches of compression separation, so the 14s will fit, and no loss of droop.

Well, unfortunately, I had already welded everything in thinking I would just make new lower mounts for the 12"s before looking at the measurements for the 14"s. I REALLY dont want to have to move the hoops.

That, and I think I would have to go two inches up with the hoop, and Im pretty sure theres not that much room on the frame rail above where they are mounted now. 19.5" compressed now, plus 2" moved up, puts me at 21.5" compressed. Which I think is good for the 14" shocks which are 20.75" compressed. That gives me a little room for error, which I like.

Although, in hind sight, that would be perfect :mad:

~T.J.

I have the 12's up front with no problem. I have ramped it with the shocks off and they measure out just fine.

I think Boonie meant to move the upper mount up an inch (move/modify your hoops), and drop the bumpstops an inch. This effectively gives you 2 more inches of compression separation, so the 14s will fit, and no loss of droop.

Yup, that's what I meant:awesomework:

I think Im going to end up just putting the 14s up front and building bump stops to keep the compression limited the 2" or so less than what I could get with the 12s I guess...

~T.J.