• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Which rim size and why????

Wildman1

Currently I am running 16.5" rims with 38" TSL SX tires. The rims are Hummv rims that I recentered to 4.25" BS and 5 on 5.5 BP. I am looking towards when it is time to replace my current tires.

Do I go back to 15" rims? Move up to 16" 17" or stay with 16.5" rims? And why do you recommend the rim size your choosing? I will be staying with a tire in the 37-38" size no matter which rim I choose. Since installing the 38" tires on my TJ I just think it handles and crawls so much better than anything I have experianced before.

Rick!!! What the??? How's it goin'?
To answer---I'd also suggest going with a different size as the tire companies seem to be phasing out the 16.5" variant...SOME companies still make them, but 16.5" choices are becoming more and more limited. 17's seem to be all the rage, and from what I've seen do work especially when getting in the 38" diameter and up...Hope this helps!:D

I would take the 17in choice. Reason is that there are plenty of tire options, and number one reason is way less sidewall flex. You could go with a bigger rim diameter but the good tire options are not there.

If your due for tires now and plan on staying with interco tires, I would stay with your h1's at this point. As has been said the 16.5 is being phased out so if you plan to go with mtr's or any of the more advanced radials step it up to a 17.

I also just picked up a set of h1's and dont plan on getting rid of them any time soon

Rick!!! What the??? How's it goin'?
To answer---I'd also suggest going with a different size as the tire companies seem to be phasing out the 16.5" variant...SOME companies still make them, but 16.5" choices are becoming more and more limited. 17's seem to be all the rage, and from what I've seen do work especially when getting in the 38" diameter and up...Hope this helps!:D

x2---I was recently forced to buy new rims and rubber on the big truck cuz I couldn't find an "E" load rating on a 16.5 tire, went to 17's. I was told tire manufacturers are fazing out the 16.5's:awesomework:

40's go for the gusto :bling:

Attachments

• 40_Inch_Rims.jpg
    40_Inch_Rims.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
40's go for the gusto :bling:

That is sooo :rb: I would say pick up a set 16.5 tires while you still can and keep the hummers. Then after those are shot go to 17. There are alot of tires for that rim size and more are popping up all the time. :awesomework:

coming from a guy that just went to hummers! Shot to a guy that already has hummers!:haha::haha:

Why change form the hummers?

Not really sure that I want to chage from the Hummers was just asking to gain a little more knowledge. One of the key things I am seeing is that other than 15" rims most tires are 6 ply or higher for the bigger rims. I know my Jeep is a pig but I still don't need 8 ply or 10 ply tires. So going to 17" rims it seems most if not all the tires I looked at were a higher ply count.

I need to pick up one rim from you Chop, I got one center welded in out of wack. Will have to hook with you after the 1st of the year.