• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Which welder?

Anthony1

So I'm finally getting around to replacing some tools that went missing with my runner. I have been looking at either getting the millermatic 180 or the hobart 190 but can't decide. The miller I can get for $900 and the hobart I can get for $800 and it comes with the spool gun for welding aluminum. Any advise would be great.:awesomework::beer:

And yes Avanteone, I know I don't have proper grammar or spelling. :fawkdancesmiley:

Last edited:
800 with a spool gun seems like a good deal...was just reading up on the HH190, and most people seem to be in favor of the Hobart...Hell, my MM210 spool gun is $400 on top of the welder itself, which is why I didn't buy when I bought my welder 10yrs ago...

That's why I'm kinda leaning towards the hobart. I don't know when I would ever need the spool gun but it would be nice to have just in case.

I like my spool gun (miller), but I have not gotten much of a chance to use it a bunch. It is just nice to have, just in case.

I just got the Hobart 210 MVP for <$800. I like it for a hobbyist welder. Welds just as nice as any Lincoln or Miller I've welded with. In fact, Miller and Hobart are owned by the same parent company and share many parts.

I like the dual voltage feature as well because my shop is only wired for 110. So if I need to weld something light, I don't have to drag the extension cord from the dryer.

My only complaint is how loud the fan is. It is by far the noisiest of any welder I have ever welded with. But, I just shut it off when I am not using it right away.

Sidenote, the Hobart flux core blows, worse wire ever. Switched over to Esab hard wire and a 75/25 shielding gas and first weld was 100x better.

Also, it fits perfect on the Harbor Freight Welding Cart.

Thermal arc 211I is what i got love the machine I finally picked up the spool gun from graiger was $260 (westward) cannot go wrong with this machine.

Two years ago I bought a Hobart 230 and am very happy with it. I did a lot of research and tried a lincoln, miller, and hobart before making my decision. The only difference I can find between the miller and hobart is the hobart doesn't have all the fancy controls which, to me, is just more stuff to break down the road. Bought it from northern tool on sale. No tax and free shipping.

I have the Lincoln 140 HD since I only have 110v. You can add a spool gun for $200, the welder was $600. My only beef on low end welders is not having infinite voltage control. Miller is infinite, is the Hobart? Something to consider.

I've been meaning to reply to this. I have been really happy with my miller 211mvp. I run it mostly on 220 at work now, and even thinner sheetmetal is easy to dial in using their chart on the door. There have been a few times I've had to drag it somewhere in the shop that doesn't have 220, and it's a quick couple twists on the plug and you're ready to weld with 110. I will agree that the fan is loud. That would be my only gripe though. I also got the spoolgun with mine, but haven't had a chance to try it out. Check with Praxair, I got a deal on mine and got the welder and spoolgun for less than the msrp on the machine itself, plus it was millers summer days, so I got a $100 rebate in the mail. (this was 4 years ago though)
As much as I love my miller, I also have to put in a good word for the thermal-arc Fabricator 211. A guy at work got one and it welds nice. I tried out the arc welder mode of it and having never arcwelded before, it was easy to touch off and get a bead going. It does have an inductance control feature that neither him or I could figure out, but it's there... :haha: