• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Who has cut and turn knuckles on Toy axle?

Thanatos

Just picked up an 83 front axle and I am thinking of building it up to replace the 80 front axle that is in my truck right now. I get death wobble at about 30mph when I hit certain kinds of bumps in the road so I believe that my caster is off (running 5" lift AP springs on MC front hanger with 6" shackles and new poly bushings in the springs and shackles). This is something too big for me to handle with my meager garage, so who can do it, and for how much? Thanks.:hi:

Well maybe I will have to try and tackle it myself. I just don't have a secure way to hold the housing in one spot while putting lots of leverage on the knuckle balls. That is my concern. I would like to do the cut/turn on the "new" axle housing that I picked up and have it all done before swapping out the axle housing that is on my truck now.

Well maybe I will have to try and tackle it myself. I just don't have a secure way to hold the housing in one spot while putting lots of leverage on the knuckle balls. That is my concern. I would like to do the cut/turn on the "new" axle housing that I picked up and have it all done before swapping out the axle housing that is on my truck now.

Do the cuts on the bench, then bolt the housing up to the truck to turn. Weld it all up, re-assemble, drive :cool:. At least, that's my plan since I'm changing pinion angle at the same time and want to be SURE that I get the caster right.

Just wondering if you could get offset balljoints to get the correct caster?

I know they make them for dana axles, not sure about toyota though.

Just wondering if you could get offset balljoints to get the correct caster?

I know they make them for dana axles, not sure about toyota though.

No balljoints on a Toy axle. I have seen pictures of indexed offset trunion bearings that people have removed from axles before, but nobody (and I mean people that have been doing Toy axles for 40+ years) has any idea where they came from and AFAIK nobody is making them now.

There really isn't that much room within the bearing, so I'd be surprised if you can even get more than a degree or two out of offsetting it.