• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Who Snowboards?

Mrs. Crash

Administrator
My son really wants to try snowboarding and since neither Michael or I have any desire to get on skii's or snowboards or anything we've never really persued it. We finally know someone who might be willing to teach him but I have no idea where to start. What do I need to know about the board itself, the boots, bindings etc... ????

My son really wants to try snowboarding and since neither Michael or I have any desire to get on skii's or snowboards or anything we've never really persued it. We finally know someone who might be willing to teach him but I have no idea where to start. What do I need to know about the board itself, the boots, bindings etc... ????

If he is just learning you would prob. be best off letting him go up and using a rental board at the mountain. I have seen alot of people get frustrated when trying to learn and will never go again so if ya get a rental he can decide if it is something he really wants to get into :awesomework: Also then he doent have to worry about scratching up his new board as he will prob run into a few people his first couple times up.

A good pair a boots is pretty important- definately not something I would skimp on. Some of the cheaper boots do not have good ankle support and do not insulate well.

and for the board, since your son is still prob. growing I would buy something a little bit longer than what the store suggest because then it will last longer and he can grow into it.

Bindings- I dont care much for the click in style bindings, I like to do alot of back country riding and they tend to get packed in with snow which makes it a paint in the A$$ to clean out. Flow bindings are really nice but they can also get a little pricey, they make it quick and easy for getting in and out of the bindings.

If he is just learning you would prob. be best off letting him go up and using a rental board at the mountain. I have seen alot of people get frustrated when trying to learn and will never go again so if ya get a rental he can decide if it is something he really wants to get into :awesomework: Also then he doent have to worry about scratching up his new board as he will prob run into a few people his first couple times up.

very true.

However,, don't get a rental.. get a DEMO.. its a few bucks more but the difference is

Rentals usually use click in bindings. They are good for a bigginer to get in and out of, but they suck for control . (in my honest opinon)

demo's normally use strap in bindings.

I've been boarding for 18 years and absolutely HATE click in bindings.

very true.

However,, don't get a rental.. get a DEMO.. its a few bucks more but the difference is

Rentals usually use click in bindings. They are good for a bigginer to get in and out of, but they suck for control . (in my honest opinon)

demo's normally use strap in bindings.

I've been boarding for 18 years and absolutely HATE click in bindings.

AHH didnt know they had such thing as DEMOS, but that would be the way to go IMO:awesomework: your right, click in bindings do such and i agree with the control issues

I would have him use a demo board and regular strap in bindings, clickers suck for control and flows get packed full of snow and are a PITA for a new rider to get in after that happens. Wait for a good day also to send him up there when there is plenty of good snow to ride on. He will be wiping out a bit and ice sucks to wipe out in and deep powder is harder to get going in. If he digs it and wants a board get a good one as it makes all the difference. I ride a libtech dark series and they rock but I like GNUs as well.:awesomework:

well before you go buying equipment I would just get him to the mountian and into a class. Stevens Pass has some good starter packages and the instructors can help fit him with the correct equipment

http://www.stevenspass.com/Stevens/lessons-packages/easy-starter.aspx

this is the best way to see if he is even going to want to continue and if he doesn't you don't have equipment to sell.

I go up to Stevens all the time and I have trained several of my neices and nephews how to Ski/Snow board I would be happy to take him up with me sometime

how tall is your son I have a lot of boards and bindings from the years when I wasn't six five im sure I could let one go extremely cheap to a family who does so much for our sport there all quality boards to lemme know if your intrested

tim

If he does decide to get into the sport make sure hes got some good goggles. Doesnt sound like something important but cheap goggles fog up real easy and can ruin the day:beer:

how tall is your son I have a lot of boards and bindings from the years when I wasn't six five im sure I could let one go extremely cheap to a family who does so much for our sport there all quality boards to lemme know if your intrested

tim

He's about 5'4 now. LOL Little **** loves being taller then me.

Thanks for all the advice. I had kinda wondered about rental but I had been told that rental can sometimes add up to the costs of buying.

I've been riding for 24 years and know you dont need fancy new stuff to have fun at the mountain. The goodwill in ballard has a good flow of boards and boots. You could get him set up for $50. Let me know if you want me to help get anything.

If he does decide to get into the sport make sure hes got some good goggles. Doesnt sound like something important but cheap goggles fog up real easy and can ruin the day:beer:

x2, goggle's can ruin a day

If he likes snowboarding, ya can usually pick up gear for really cheap after the season at Big 5 or other stores

For you guys that have been riding for a while, any of you start up at Baker?

I work at BC Surf & Sport in Alderwood Mall. We have a ton of selection for boards, boots, bindings, outerwear, etc. Just come in sometime and ask for Edwin. I will help you guys pick some stuff. We also have a bunch of gear from last year that is marked down super cheap. So you could get a decent setup for a pretty reasonable price. I'd just say that what others have said is totally true. Don't go cheap on the boots or goggles, but most of all don't go cheap on the outerwear. Being soaking wet can ruin your day of boarding.

I didn't know Craig but saw him riding there on occasion. Those guys were a few years older than me.

Yep, all my life

Used to be my stomping grounds. Dedicated my teenage life to riding there. Had seasons passes and rode there from 1990-2000,then my first kid was born and it all went downhill.

My first goal of every season was to hook up with a chick whose family had a cabin at the bottom. :redneck:

I was lucky enough to ride with Craig a few times. I miss heading up there, I need to get back in shape and get out there again.

We used to hike up the Hemisphere almost every weekend and then venture out along the ridge. Goodtimes...we didn't even know avalanche beacons existed:looser:

X 3 on the goggles it really sucks having your goggles fog up all day and with no googles your eyes get pelted with snow, you can always find boards for cheeap to learn on i paid like 100 bucks for boots board and bindings that were used thats the best way to start out IMO. then if he likes it invest in a good setup. the first couple times suck unless your with people to give you pointers goodluck its a fun sport:awesomework:

Used to be my stomping grounds. Dedicated my teenage life to riding there. Had seasons passes and rode there from 1990-2000,then my first kid was born and it all went downhill.

My first goal of every season was to hook up with a chick whose family had a cabin at the bottom. :redneck:

I was lucky enough to ride with Craig a few times. I miss heading up there, I need to get back in shape and get out there again.

We used to hike up the Hemisphere almost every weekend and then venture out along the ridge. Goodtimes...we didn't even know avalanche beacons existed:looser:

We probably crossed tracks then a few times....spent alot of time there in the early 90's.Craig and Carter has some INSANE lines from the bottom of Hemis ,through the cliffs, directly into the canyon.....beyond sketchy. I was lucky enough to ride with most of the original MBHC at one time or another......a good friend of mine was a lift op and new everyone. Good times:cool:

Too bad my knees are GONE or I'd take Kyle up and help get him started.....I'm a pretty good teacher:D