• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Who wants to race the 2008 Baja?

I wouldn't mind doing the Jeepspeed class. I have a XJ ready for the torture.

I'm too far away to be any help but I'll cheer ya on!

I am looking at Jeepspeed or class-8

Class 11....... If you're back's not bad now, it's guarentee'd to be then

I would be more interested in the build and logistics....I would get people like you to drive it. I know I'm in no shape to drive a stock vw offroad.

The whole idea would be to get a team together to do it. It's a cheap class....the car would be the smallest investment. It would cost more in support crew than building the car.

Robin...I can get you a great deal on that Class 1 car shown in the link you posted..yes it's for Sale

I have been active in offroad racing for over 22+ years (less active now that I live here)..but still connected by my heart, Anytime you want to talk more about it, let me know.

I will say that Class 11 is nuts, NOT as cheap as you think and a real ball buster..

There are many classes and I would look at all options before starting your quest.

Best advise.....BUY A USED RACECAR AND REBUILD...FROM SCRATCH WILL BREAK YA....Good luck..

I've talked about this allot with my friends, it's one of those "I'd like to do before I die" things. I'd definitely be down for something like this but I want to be in the vehicle, for shure.:awesomework:

I wouldn't mind doing the Jeepspeed class. I have a XJ ready for the torture.

x2 a couple nice jeepspeed builds for the baja1000 on Pirate.

I'd be all over it being part of it. 2008 for me is a busy year though with running a Werock Season. 2009 would be better.

Also take into account....Mexico.....Read the threads on RDC, some very tradgic events this year

I agree that driving the roads can be dangerous. I have spent 8 winters recently camping all over Baja and am very familar with the culture, roads, and other dangers.

There are options to get around the support crew races that happen on Mex1..... be more prepared and take a week to soak in the sun before driving home. I agree with the statements that the safest way down Baja during the race is in a race car.

Robin...I can get you a great deal on that Class 1 car shown in the link you posted..yes it's for Sale

I have been active in offroad racing for over 22+ years (less active now that I live here)..but still connected by my heart, Anytime you want to talk more about it, let me know.

I will say that Class 11 is nuts, NOT as cheap as you think and a real ball buster..

There are many classes and I would look at all options before starting your quest.

Best advise.....BUY A USED RACECAR AND REBUILD...FROM SCRATCH WILL BREAK YA....Good luck..

What ballpark of money are you talking?

I get a warm fuzzy feeling about the idea of doing it in a basically stock bug......it seems more pure than using money to complete the race.

If I was still able a motorcycle would be my first choice.

Agree 100% Robin.....I started going in 85 for the 1000, then back in 86 for San Felipe, 500, and 1000 and did so till about 91. ( pitting for Team Honda)

93 & 94 I spent Racing class 1 (local So Cal races)

I went back in 98' to do contingency when I worked for Mckenzie's

The place didn't "FEEL" the same as it did 10 years earlier... it was different ..can't explain it was just different....that was also the year that Randy Ross was held up in the middle of the desert by "Bandits" and got shot in the leg while prerunning.....

I haven't been back since ...... would love to go but just don't like the current state.

If they fix it, I will think about returning

What ballpark of money are you talking?

I get a warm fuzzy feeling about the idea of doing it in a basically stock bug......it seems more pure than using money to complete the race.

If I was still able a motorcycle would be my first choice.

Class 11 ........It's not just take an old stock bug and go for it....
That 40+ year old car has to be rebuilt into the toughest vw ever built, this with a shrinking supply of "stock" parts.

I would guess that by time you are done ..you will spend 10k to 20k

sounds crazy but I'm saying this is real money.....not some BS ..''ya I built it for 7500 and I'm racing'' ...I'm accounting for "ALL" the money your gonna spend...

I commend you I tooo wanted to build a 11 at one time....

you can get in and get started for less...but waisted entry fees and time
(=money) added with frustration.. will cost you in the long run..

as you know class 11 is all about just finishing...this years 1000 had a time limit of 53 hours.

The first cl 11 finished in 53:00:00.....(that was the report on rdc @ race end)

I wish you all the best with this and I stand by what I say ..If you need some help just let me know.:awesomework:

Latest posts