• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Who would you loan your rig to?

I

InDaShop

Say you weren't able to make an event, or a run, or something, and someone asked you to borrow your rig.
Where would you draw the line.

Of course it pays if there will be photographers or videographers there so you know what your rig went through. And of course it has to be one of those, you break it, you replace it type deals as well.

But is there a point you are like, hmmmm, NO.

Now from where I'm at. Speedcrawl is this weekend here in Houston. I have another commitment to be in Austin until really late day on Saturday. So no Speedcrawl for me. But another competitor from out west hit me up about borrowing my buggy to comp at Speedcrawl. Well I think if I weren't going to be competing at Grey Rock in two weeks I probably would have loaned it out with the caveat you break it you fix it. I know there will be tons of coverage, and yeah I could use some positive Karma.

But that begs the question. At what point do you draw the line. I can think of about 8 people I would toss the "Kill Lanyard" to on mine without a 2nd thought, knowing that they could destroy it, but if they did they would go aabove and beyond to make it back to same if not better than when they left with it.

Re: Who would you loan your rig too?

Nope not a chance. Some sort of $$ has to exchange for me to let a stranger beat on my junk. friend...more than likely okay.

InDaShop said:
Say you weren't able to make an event, or a run, or something, and someone asked you to borrow your rig.
Where would you draw the line.

Of course it pays if there will be photographers or videographers there so you know what your rig went through. And of course it has to be one of those, you break it, you replace it type deals as well.

But is there a point you are like, hmmmm, NO.

Now from where I'm at. Speedcrawl is this weekend here in Houston. I have another commitment to be in Austin until really late day on Saturday. So no Speedcrawl for me. But another competitor from out west hit me up about borrowing my buggy to comp at Speedcrawl. Well I think if I weren't going to be competing at Grey Rock in two weeks I probably would have loaned it out with the caveat you break it you fix it. I know there will be tons of coverage, and yeah I could use some positive Karma.

But that begs the question. At what point do you draw the line. I can think of about 8 people I would toss the "Kill Lanyard" to on mine without a 2nd thought, knowing that they could destroy it, but if they did they would go aabove and beyond to make it back to same if not better than when they left with it.

I wouldn't let my brother.. last time I did that he rolled my truck took out windshield, radiator, and some other crap :eek:

The whole point in having a toy is for you to have fun with it--not for the rig to be "SEEN" or for someone else's enjoyment to beat on it. Close friend into the same thing that has the means to fix something might be different--but random joe or "friend" nope.

I don't really care who drives mine, in fact most of the people in the club have driven mine at some point. Sometimes I like to drink a few on the trail and have a good time, so I will toss the keys to someone else. P has driven mine a bunch, and has pulled some pretty sick lines in it. Ricky B has driven mine a bunch also, and aside from making my oil pan "high clearance" in Hot Springs, has been fine.

I would probably give most any of you guys the keys to my rig, as long as your fix what you break and clean it up when you are done. As far as strangers go, probably not unless I knew them

BamaTJ said:
I don't really care who drives mine, in fact most of the people in the club have driven mine at some point. Sometimes I like to drink a few on the trail and have a good time, so I will toss the keys to someone else. P has driven mine a bunch, and has pulled some pretty sick lines in it. Ricky B has driven mine a bunch also, and aside from making my oil pan "high clearance" in Hot Springs, has been fine.

I would probably give most any of you guys the keys to my rig, as long as your fix what you break and clean it up when you are done. As far as strangers go, probably not unless I knew them

You're welcome, you have like 2" more clearance now. I can help you with the belly skid if needed, lemme know. ;D

I guess my response was more along the lines of lettin someone take it to a comp for a weekend... figuratively speaking if I had a comp buggy of course...

I will let anyone drive my junk on the trail if ya ask and yer not a total moron laughing1 I'd just rather be around when something happens

I'll let any of my friends drive my ZJ. They can't be any worse on it than I am. I've had a few people tear some things up, but that stuff happens and it doesn't bug me too bad.

I've let people drive mine and have enjoyed watching it work but there is a very very short list of people that I would allow to take it when I wasn't going to be there.

When it is a comp rig I would have to say no, and I have a short list that I would let take my trail rig without me being there.

Maybe if it was an event you were going to do and had something come up and your rig needed to be there for sponsor commitments and YOU asked someone to drive it for you then that would be different.

Id let most everyone I know take mine without much concern , stranger not so much so... laughing1

Hell i let JP lay the Turd over just cause he asked me if he could... :woody:

I would not loan a rig for a comp unless I was riding shotgun. Not a good plan.

Oh yea... as far as loan it for a comp... No way I cant afford to play those games and no one I know can afford the repair bill laughing1

Most times that I've seen competitors borrow rigs it's has been a great experience.

Typically the comp guys know what it takes to get it going again and know the risk they're taking by driving the way they choose too.

I think the trust issue comes down to regular maintenance or stupid abuse. I really shy away from letting to many people drive my toyota even when I'm there just for the fact that the weak link is the ring and pinion. I know this is a weak link, I know they aren't set up 100% but should I have to pay the $$ to fix them if they blow up on someone else? they shouldn't have to either.

Most of the time I'll look at it this way - What's they're rig like? If they can't afford to have a rig of similar ability then they can't afford to fix/drive mine.

This does go out the window with spotters, family and CLOSE friends
Also my view will probably change alot once I have a buggy and the bugs are worked out

Thanks again to Ben for letting me drive Judy! It was a blast - I caught it on fire but wasn't ever HARD on it and it got him over to the wall to make it up!!!

Dustin and becca have come from out west to compete a couple times in the east and it's always worked out

I was at Disney when Becca borrowed Blumes rig
I don't know the details but Blume had the right attitude when she broke a portal box "Better her to break it here than for it to let go on me in a competition"

it appeared to be a fatigue type failure and sounded like the point that it broke wasn't a hard obstacle for the rig

There isn't to many people I would Loan my Jeep to, but I would let Daniel or Neal take it and never think twice about it.

comp loan = NO DICE...

however, if i were to be asked, i would probably loan it to:

Pat Holland
why? friend for a few years, would replace or help fix any damage

Joel WIthers
why? again, a friend, and he makes lots more $ than me and can afford to pay to fix anything that would need repair

Nolen Grogen
why? good friend, well respected wheeler, has a lot of $$ and a TC 4 seater that i would commandeer if he fawked mine up...

David Quirin
why? beacuse he is a big fukker and i dont want to end up like P in teh "stranglehold"

Hey Joel...I got 2 $$'s and you only got one $ skully

::)

Latest posts