• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Why me??? Advice needed, cracked transmission housing. WTF.

index.php

Is the t-case touching your skid plate in that pic?

Re:

I have read where it's better to have a mount for the atlas that comes off the side. That's how I'm doing it in my current project.

In a tj with 5.3, th350, atlas 4 speed, I broke the trail housing. The transmission bushing rubber broke down and the atlas was rear supported.

TMR mount .. It's mounted to the back side of that piece I welded to each side of frame..
So maybe mount it different? **** I just looked and couldn't find a th350 4x4 .. All the ones I see are from cars and ****. Diff length .. Fawk

When my front d-shaft broke (at the t-case end) going about 50mph it whacked my trans so hard it cracked the tailshaft area all the way around

kushKrawlin said:
TMR mount .. It's mounted to the back side of that piece I welded to each side of frame..
So maybe mount it different? **** I just looked and couldn't find a th350 4x4 .. All the ones I see are from cars and ****. Diff length .. Fawk

Is this what you're calling a TMR mount?

ASR3902_MULTI.jpg

And is that all that is mounting the t-case end?

Take a couple puffs dub that bitch out and start pulling the trans out. Mine broke similar to that before I built transfercase support bracket. Looks like it's all there , so I would find some one good with a tig and let em weld it up. I was worried about mine being welded but "knock on wood " I've had no problems with it since it was welded up. Gotta love them stickies!!

Re: Re: Why me??? Advice needed, cracked transmission housing. WTF.

al1tonyota said:
Where are the pictures of the rubber mounts on the trans mount?
Go ahead and post some of the motor mounts too!
b314a392ec110d4538d235dd03faff00.jpg

Those 2 bricks are made of rubber. This is part of the problem IMHO. (He texted that to me right before his phone died.)

al1tonyota said:
Yea that's not good basically solid mounted with a little vibration dampening!

This and the lucy goosey motor mounts are probably what caused the break. Motor was moving 1/2" to 1" as the PS pulley had a mark where it was hitting. There is no movement possible in the trans mount. Something had to give.

I would change from these:

images

To these:

62510.jpg

And replace the rubber block, with a steel block.

But, that's just me!

I never figured out how to poly or rubber mount something that gets abused and not crack tail housings. I did 2 the way you did before I gave up on trying to soft-mount and went all solid. (Solid is where the motor and t-case are both directly bolted to steel brackets that are then welded to the chassis.) Solid mounting fixed everything for me and everything I have had ever since has been solid mounted without a single issue. But IMHO that TMR mount you have is not very good because if the t-case slips inside that tiny little bracket it can crack the tail housing like you've done. Or if that tiny little bolt loosens. Some things to keep in mind:

- Anything mounted to the belly will move if the belly flexes or deforms. In your case, if that cross member bends or bows it will force the t-case to move.
- If the skid plate by the other side of the t-case flexes up and contacts the case the case will move.
- The transmission case won't flex, only crack. So any time the t-case moves without the rest of the drivetrain, or even if it moves a different amount than the rest of the drivetrain, the transmission case becomes the weak link / will eventually crack.
- If your motor is twisting enough to rip apart mounts, I doubt your t-case is because the mounts you have posted pics of and described just don't have that much movement.
- Plus, I think you said there is only 3/16" between the skid plate and the side of the t-case on the phone? Is your motor moving more than 3/16" If so (and I bet it is, that would be normal.), the t-case is hitting the skid which could be twisting the transmission between.

JohnG said:
This and the lucy goosey motor mounts are probably what caused the break. Motor was moving 1/2" to 1" as the PS pulley had a mark where it was hitting. There is no movement possible in the trans mount. Something had to give.

I would change from these:

images

To these:

62510.jpg

And replace the rubber block, with a steel block.

But, that's just me!

You're saying to solid mount?

Re: Why me??? Advice needed, cracked transmission housing. WTF.

f92324e411448cf78a373b8e2d01bcf0.jpg
16148771698861840044f0bc3770f684.jpg

I had the same thing happen at the races at hpo last month, cost me 175 for my Trans guy to swap my shaft over to another case and rebuild it he even supply the case, here's the new mounts for my doublers, maybe they won't break the Trans again