• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wildman's TJ getting a face lift!!

wow nice job , were you nervous when you were cutting the frame?
your going nuts with that thing , cant wait to see it done!:cool:

yjkrawlin said:
wow nice job , were you nervous when you were cutting the frame?
your going nuts with that thing , cant wait to see it done!:cool:

Just a little nervous but I had talked with the shop who had done the instructions so I wasn't too worried.

Well I took yesterday off and went on a real nice bike ride.
I sure enjoyed myself and needed a break from wrenching on the Jeep.
So I started working on the wiring and figuring out where everything was going under the hood.
IMG00732.jpg

The new ARB compressor is smaller but it still needs some room to work. And the driversside was already full.

Now since the ARB compressor was in the way I had to figure out something different for the Primier Power Welder. I look around at the Jeep and test fit in as many places. Well here is what I ended up doing with it.
IMG00738.jpg

I had to move the fuse panel also and this really worked out better than I had at first thought it would.
IMG00736.jpg

IMG00737.jpg

With all the Tuffy storage boxes I have I think that losing the glove box really won't be a big deal.
And here is the wiring coming thru firewall.
IMG00734.jpg

And then I started working on the dash so I have a place to mount all my switches.
IMG00739.jpg

interesting using airbags instead of the coils do those work good i have heard of people using them but havent really seen it

cameron_garrison said:
interesting using airbags instead of the coils do those work good i have heard of people using them but havent really seen it

Check out a company by the name of Off-Road Only. They sell the AiRock kit and it is pretty impressive. I can't say yet how I am going to like it off-road but as soon as my Jeep is driveable I'll be reporting on what I think.

we just replaced both rear bags on a buddies rubicon last weekend, all i have to say is have a backup plan for when you puncture a bag or your control computer goes on the fritz,

Well the Army screwed up a few days for me but I got back into working on the Jeep today. The good news is that I am done with the ARMY!!! My official Retirement date is 9 June 2006 which is 10 days shy of me having 28 years total federal service.

So I wanted to get more of the wiring done so when my driveshafts get here Monday I can take it to the muffler shop on Tuesday. So I was trying to figure out where to mount the Wrangler NW Power Products dual battery relay. So after fiddling with it I made a bracket that I welded to the Mean Green dual battery tray.
IMG00740.jpg

And because I didn't like how close the terminals were to the fender I put a piece of mud flap cut to size to protect against shorting out.
IMG00741.jpg

So then I got all the wires for the On-Board welder & dual battery system hooked up.
IMG00743.jpg

IMG00746.jpg

Then I moved onto the front brakes. And of course I ran into another SNAFU!! The ends of the lines are too small so I will have to get some new lines made again.
IMG00748.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to start getting all the wiring thru the firewall and get the dash ready. And start mounting my tires onto my beadlocks.

Well I don't have a lot of pictures today and as I sit here I am trying to figure out what it is that I did today.
I drilled out the Banjo Bolt fittlngs to fit and got the front brakes hooked up. The rears are already done. Then a lady friend of mine decided she wanted to help out. So I got her setup and she did my Beadlocks for me.
IMG00749.jpg

IMG00754.jpg

I worked on the wiring and have everything now thru the firewall and ready to go for the dash. So tomorrow is the steering and final adjustment of the STaK's shifters. Then I can start putting the interior back together.

Last edited:
Marc,
I've had the Toyo's on since last Jan and can say I really like them. They work good in the snow, on the rocks & in mud. For an all around tire on a street rig I'll keep buying them.

Dude...it's crazy how much equipment you've been able to get into that rig.

Have you seen/wheeled with any other rigs with the Nth Degree kits on them?

Jobless said:
Dude...it's crazy how much equipment you've been able to get into that rig.

Have you seen/wheeled with any other rigs with the Nth Degree kits on them?

Jobless,
Yes it is amazing how much stuff I have been able to fit but it has been a brain drain sometimes.
No I have never seen anyone wheeling the Nth Degree but I spoke with Brad Kilby and he loves his. And I talked with other people who have the kit on other boards.

Well Larry came over today and helped me out on the steering. We were going to try and use his Tera drop pitman arm but it was too long and hit the RE trackbar bracket. So we went back to the flat pitman arm and Larry made a bracket to move the trackber to the top of the spring pad.
IMG00755.jpg

IMG00757.jpg

IMG00758.jpg

So after we got the steering done we started working on the shifters for the STaK's box. Let me tell you it took a little time but once we got it figured out they box shifts great.
IMG00765.jpg

Then I got to play with AiRock system and got the air bags working. I had the speed sensor wire and the key on wires reversed but once I got that figured out the system worked great. I played with it a little and watched it go thru it's paces.
IMG00770.jpg

The above picture has the Jeep sitting at the entry & exit mode. And here are some other pictures of the steering sitting at the lowered height.
IMG00764.jpg

And the control arms in the lowered position.
IMG00768.jpg

IMG00769.jpg

While I was putting the tummy tucker back on I spaced the t-case up using some fender washers. I now have about 1/4" clearance between the t-case and the skid plate.
IMG00767.jpg

The last thing I did was work on the rear lower shock brackets. I have one side ground down and ready to be welded on. I'll grind the other tomorrow and then weld them on.
IMG00761.jpg

It is getting close to being done. If I get the driveshafts Monday and then take it into town for the exhaust I will be taking on a wheeling trip next weekend for a shakedown run.

Sweeeeeeet cant wait to hear how it performs once it is finished! you will have to take an emmense amount of pictures when you take it out for the first run!

Well as always when you want or need something today you can't find it. I needed 2 shock bushing sleeves and not a parts store around had any.

So I started to take care of other things. I installed a PSC trail cage back in Feb but never got a chance to paint it.
IMG00771.jpg

So the idea here is that the added parts are black and the stock parts are still white.
IMG00772.jpg

IMG00773.jpg

IMG00774.jpg

IMG00775.jpg

IMG00776.jpg

And of course I ran out of paint before I could finish.

Then I started working on the dash switch panel. I tried using the stock ones and adding a second one but it didn't work out. Two of my switches were bigger than the ARB switches. So Larry had sugggested making one out of some thin gage sheet metal.
So here is the cardboard templete that I made.
IMG00777.jpg

My in cab winch switches. Came out of a Army LMTV.
IMG00779.jpg

Arb switches.
IMG00780.jpg

And the metal panel with the cut outs done. The 3 round holes at the bottom in the templet are going to be for power outlets. Figure one switched and two constant.

Also started working on the steering and hydro boost. And of course I need one fitting that I couldn't find today.

Last edited:
Well I got the brake lines back and got them installed. Then I had to ream out my steering arms a little. So now the drag link, tie rods, and trackbar are in place. So I could mount my front tires finally.
IMG00784.jpg

So now it is sitting on all fours again since 5 May. I am getting close!!!
IMG00785.jpg

So I put the windshield back down and painted the roll cage again. And while I had the welder out I made the bracket for power steering reservoir. I got the other lower shock bracket modified to fit the axle tube.
I got one side welded on before my daughter woke up from her nap.
IMG00788.jpg

So it stopped raining long enough for me to take a few more pictures from the front.
IMG00787.jpg

Don't it look good with those front tires back on and it sitting on the ground.

More to follow tomorrow.

The rear shocks are now installed and looking good. I forgot to take a picture but will tomorrow.
Got the power steering all hooked up and bled. Had to fix a few leaks but they are taken care of. Worked on the transfer case and might have it all worked out.
Then put the MaterCraft seats together and they sure look nice. But I can't say the same for how easy they went together. Had some issues with the adapter brackets & their directions.
IMG00789.jpg

Also got the dash started after painting. I like how it turned out and should have it back together tomorrow.
IMG00791.jpg

My driveshafts are suppose to be here tomorrow. If things work out I'll be taking it into town on Friday and get the exhaust installed.
Was really way to busy to take pictures today. I was suppose to be headed up for a wheeling trip tomorrow but I ain't going to make it. Still hoping for Friday so we will see.

Last edited:

Latest posts