• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Winch line: Steel vs synthetic

You need to explain this please.

I should have said - "Rigged properly it is not likely that cable will recoil". Won't was too strong of a word.

In the breaks I have seen, read about, or heard about that HAVE recoiled; they all had one thing in common. Improper rigging. Either pulling the cable against the fairlead at a sharp angle from the winch, attaching to a weak point on a vehicle and actually having that break off, using a d-ring wrong, using too small of a d-ring of a load, etc.

If the cable was pulled straight from one vehicle to another or a tree, AND it was the cable that broke, the cable just dropped to the ground.

Now consider how long winch cable has been used - how many stories exist that YOU PERSONALLY know of in which the cable has broken, whipped around and mamed someone? How many where the cable broke and did nothing? Compared to how many times cable is used and abused where nothing happened? And how many stories do you know of that you heard 2nd or 3rd hand?

The bottom line is; there is a lot of unsubstantiated hype about the "safety" of synthetic line and how cable "will kill or mame you".

I've seen a few synthetics break and they dropped to the ground. I've also seen a couple steel cables let loose and holy crap I would not want to get tagged by one.

Last edited:
I'm sure everyone saw the Myth Busters episode were they tested the whole whipping cable of death scenario

The bottom line is; there is a lot of unsubstantiated hype about ... how cable "will kill or mame you".
Agreed there.

I think a lot of it comes from the shipping and logging industries, and confusion between short and long pieces of cable. The longer the cable section, the more energy that will be stored when it is stretched. If you stretch a long piece of 1" cable beyond breaking strength, a **** load of energy is going to be released. OTOH, a short piece of 5/16" cable won't do near the damage if it snaps. Just because some guy got cut clean in half when cable broke pulling logs 500 feet up out of a ravine, doesn't mean it's going to go down like that when a 25 foot section snaps on the trail.

You are probly also right about cases involving other part failures. If a d-ring or something else failed, then it has no place in this discussion. So if that's what you mean by rigging, then forget about it. People shouldn't rig like idiots, but that's a difference discussion.

I'm sure everyone saw the Myth Busters episode were they tested the whole whipping cable of death scenario
I think they botched it completely by cutting it well under breaking strength. As far as I'm concerned, the Myth Busters test is useless.

I have some Spanky new steel cable.......could put it to the test if we had the proper, safe conditions to test under.

Any ideas?

I have some Spanky new steel cable.......could put it to the test if we had the proper, safe conditions to test under.

Any ideas?
You can make 16000 pounds pretty easy with a snatch block. That should break a fresh piece of 5/16". Try not to stand too close :D

You are probly also right about cases involving other part failures. If a d-ring or something else failed, then it has no place in this discussion. So if that's what you mean by rigging, then forget about it. People shouldn't rig like idiots, but that's a difference discussion.

I agree, if it's rigging then it's really not the cables fault, but many times people blame the cable for an injury anyway. The only place it has in this discussion is to sort out the non-relevant cases.

For a true comparison you have to look for cases where the cable itself snapping and/or harmed someone. So out of all the stories you have to remove the ones that were caused by attachment points failing or the ferrule(sp) letting the hook loose, or any other type of malody that didn't involve the cable itself breaking.

I'de wager there are very few cases in which the cable snapping caused someone harm. Unfortunately - neither I or the people heckling me now can back up our claims, the statistics don't exist because no one collects them.

You should buy a toyota then you won't have to worry about your winch problems. Silly jeepers, jeeps are for the post office.:fawkdancesmiley: :stirpot: :stirpot:

Latest posts