• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Winch problems...

lethe

The winch is question is a M8000 thats about 4-5 years old now. I just bought my old truck back and the po thought that winch motor might need to be replaced. His reasoning being that it was spooling in extremely slow. I didnt think to ask him if it was only slow under load or not. The other day i checked it for myself without a load and the line speed seemed fine. Since i was in my driveway and didnt have anything to attache the line to it didnt have a load on it. To put a little bit of a load on it i attached the hook to my bumper and spooled it in. I could see it tighten the rope on the spool a little bit then it would just stop. Voltage at the battery without operating is 14+ volts at idle. The voltage at the battery with the winch under load was about 8.8 volts or so. So i guess my question is does it sound more like a battery/charging system problem or a winch problem? Im leaning more towards the battery/charging system since the voltage drops so low which is why the winch has very little power when spooling in with a load. The battery is a red top that is also about 4-5 years old. stock Alternator.Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Swap batteries, with a known good one.
Make sure the ground is good. NOT grounded to the frame, but to the battery direct, with good (0 or 00 guage) cable.

could very well be the winch motor is drawing an extreme amt of amperage to operate, which would explain the voltage dropping under load---once you verify ground and power connections are good and battery is good, I'd bet the motor is going...

ill pull the battery out of my rubicon in a bit and see if it makes a difference. Under no load spooling in the voltage at the battery drops to a little above 11 volts. I just want to make sure i replace the right thing the first time around. A new motor from warn is $200+ and a good battery isnt too far from that price either.

so i switched the battery with the one out of my Rubicon and its still the same. although this time i pulled the rope out about 5 feet and spooled it in with no load. It would spool at normal speed for a second then slow down like it was under load then speed up again. Sounds more and more like its the motor going out. Is there any way to test the motor itself?

if you have some sort of amp clamp, yes...clap to the B+ cable at the motor, and test the amp draw of the motor when spooling it in/out......I have that capability if you wanna make the drive! :redneck:
I bet someone closer would also have the ability though...

Last edited:
if you have some sort of amp clamp, yes...clap to the B+ cable at the motor, and test the amp draw of the motor when spooling it in/out......I have that capability if you wanna make the drive! :redneck:
I bet someone closer would also have the ability though...

Its a bit farther then i want to drive:D . so if it was drawing a large amount of amperage would that explain why it speeds up then slows down then speeds up again while spooling in?

More-n-likely :redneck:...amp draw test would tell you for sure if that's it...:;

A friend of mine works at a shop and should be able to check it for me. I definitely want to make sure that the motor is the issue before i start throwing parts at it.

They are a simple winch to work on,a good take apart and clean everything would be a good start including connections on the solenoid pack.

Latest posts