• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

winch talk

leadfoot067

Sooooooooooo..... i picked up a warn m12000. with the intent to put it on the front of my 17 ram 3500. then i got a westin winch tray for free that fits the ram. the m12000 doesnt fit into the tray. so i was lookin at other winch brands because im cheap. i can sell the m12000 for a good profit. buy a midsize frame winch that fits in the plate i have. and have cash leftover. so the question is have you owned a smittybuilt, or superwinch or any other off brand winch? ive only ever had warn or ramsey. and on the front of my tow rig it will see very little use. that why im considering it.

I have had a couple smitty 9500's. never had any issues with them. I'd think if you ever need a winch on your ram you'll want that 12000. No way to make it fit?

my xr smitty works well but for a winch that sits id never buy synthetic rope again,..

I have 3 lay down warns they've never given me a problem... my 2 8274's 1 was awesome 1959 so no solenoid, the new one with solenoid was a little problematic over the yrs. Come up winches ive been really impressed by for cheap winches. I run good rope never had it fail where I didn't think cable would either...

Rope is for fishing. Where corrosion is a concern.

You will never see rope on a skidder or a tow truck where people make a living with a winch.

Rope is a cool novelty with HUGE retail markup.

Rope is for fishing. Where corrosion is a concern.

You will never see rope on a skidder or a tow truck where people make a living with a winch.

Rope is a cool novelty with HUGE retail markup.
Perhaps, but in the rare occasion I need my winch I'd much rather deal with rope than cable. After 25 years of dragging cable around I'll take a rope anyway. Novelty or not.

ive been staring at the winch plate...just gonna make it bigger and keep the m12000. i really wouldnt want anything less on a truck that weighs that much..

I have a cheap ass 9k harbor freight winch I mounted on my tractor. Kept the cable, and put chokers on it. It's cool for what it needs to do. We will see how long it lasts. I only use that to pull logs out of the woods though. Nice thing is still the same bolt pattern as everything else, when/or if it fails.

Never had a problem with any of the cheap lay downs .... Smitty, Champion, etc ... but I have killed 3 8274s ... use what ya got ... you will be fine