• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Winters Shifter issues after install....

rugger99

I decided to put in a console style shifter in the YJ. The trans is a 30RH, which after doing some research and talking to a couple of transmission folks, I was advised it is pretty much a newer version of a 904. After installing the Winters shifter (which is cable activated) my shift pattern became...well, weird. With the Jeep sitting on jack stands and the shifter in Park i attempted to start the Jeep...nothing. I played with the shifter and when it is in Reverse, the Jeep fired right up. Another thing I noticed is the shifter is not able to use all of the gates, I run out of cable movement. It goes from the Park position at the top and only will run through to the Neutral position and that is it. I can however, run through all of the gears in this short space. When I installed the cable, I had it roughly even in length (the part that slides thru the sleeve and actuates the shifting) between the base of the shifter and where it attaches to the transmission. Obviously I have screwed something up but the only thing I can think of is the cable needs to be fully extended one way or the other when it is installed. Any insight is greatly appreciated as I am pretty much a retard when it comes to transmissions.

Don't know...box and paperwork have been tossed. If the shift pattern is off versus what the gate shows, I can get a new gate sticker with the needed shift pattern. I need guidance in regards to why the entire shift pattern is run through in the space of only 2.5 gates.

Don't know...box and paperwork have been tossed. If the shift pattern is off versus what the gate shows, I can get a new gate sticker with the needed shift pattern. I need guidance in regards to why the entire shift pattern is run through in the space of only 2.5 gates.

That I can't help ya with unfortunately. I just knew there was a Stock and Reverse pattern for the 904's.

well if you're cycling through all the trans gears in a short stroke of the shifter, then your lever arm is too long at the shifter/too short at the trans.

do the winters shifters come with a replacement arm for the trans?

well if you're cycling through all the trans gears in a short stroke of the shifter, then your lever arm is too long at the shifter/too short at the trans.

do the winters shifters come with a replacement arm for the trans?
Yes, it came with a replacement arm but it is almost identical to the stock piece. There are adjustments on the shifter assembly so maybe I need to move the piece that the cable screws into in order to make the length adjustment.

Latest posts