• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wiring diagrams and my Revcon

L

lowbudgetjunk

I haven't been able to locate a wiring diagram that I can print off and read. I am trying to get my RV to charge the coach and house batteries. I know no one has them, but I was hoping to get some thoughts. There is a note on the inverter that shows the wires are pulled from the alternator. Anyone think that could be the reason the coach battery not charging? I am one battery and a couple cables short of trying it out in practice. I just don't want to buy a new battery yet if it still isn't going to charge.

JohnG said:
Inverter or converter? What is manuf and model?

I have torn out almost every panel but two. The last two panels will tell me if it is a converter or inverter. As well, it should free up the fresh water tank, it has a hole in the top of it. I have been working on this thing all day. Fired up the generator, got the stove to work, microwave/convection oven to work, top mount A/C to work, all but two 12v lights and the damned step. This may have to wait until Sunday due to putting the samurai rear end back together and packing to go to Shamrock run.

I guess I should just start a build thread on the motor home. I moved it around the yard some and repositioned it where I could run power to it from my shop. Been stripping the interior and painting walls. Got to get some basics like blinds, sewer hose, one vent cover. When I get completely fed up with whatever I am working on, it kind of brings me back to my happy place.

zukimaster said:
I would put the biggest amp 1 wire alternator I could find on it, makes life easy.

The alternator is putting out juice. I can find it all over the front wiring, just not getting back to the battery. I removed the front seats, so it is way easier to get to all the wiring. I am really hoping there is one master ground wire that is ****ing everything up. Happened on a BMW I had once. Every intermittent problem I had all came back to one wire. Who knows? I am going to keep looking for a decent wiring diagram. I am no wiring guru, but I can make my way through it if I have the map.

I know very little about motorhouse stuff but...I would think the alternator would charge both yet they would not be connected with the ignition off. That way the engine would still crank with discharged house batteries.
There may be an isolator or large diode to do this. Trace the large hot wire off the alternator and see where is goes. The charge wire to the house batteries may tie in to the starter post.

What i've always done with old vehicles is just start abandoning the OE wiring harness and building new circuits to things that don't work. It's a lot easier and neater in general to start out with new fuse/distribution blocks.

Unless someone has added an inverter (12V DC to power 120V AC outlets) then it would not have one, don't think they came with them that far back. I know my 72 Champion, 76 Travco (Dad's) and 94 Alegro Pusher did not have them from the factory. You probably have a converter, which is like a battery charger, turning 120V Ac to 12V DC to charge the batteries. The converter is only in use when plugged into shore power. With that thinking, there will be an isolator that will allow the engine alternator to charge both the engine and house batteries, but make them drain sepatately as to not kill the starter battery with the lights and other 12v DC stuff in the coach. It is normally shaped like a brick and has multiple 1 gauge wires off it and usually a smaller trigger wire. Follow the positive from the battery and also from the alternator, in the middle somewhere, you should find it. Test voltage at back of alternator, then into isolator, then out of isolator, then to battery positive lead. Rerport back with the voltage readings. Make sure to have a hot battery to do this test.

voltchart.gif

JohnG said:
Unless someone has added an inverter (12V DC to power 120V AC outlets) then it would not have one, don't think they came with them that far back. I know my 72 Champion, 76 Travco (Dad's) and 94 Alegro Pusher did not have them from the factory. You probably have a converter, which is like a battery charger, turning 120V Ac to 12V DC to charge the batteries. The converter is only in use when plugged into shore power. With that thinking, there will be an isolator that will allow the engine alternator to charge both the engine and house batteries, but make them drain sepatately as to not kill the starter battery with the lights and other 12v DC stuff in the coach. It is normally shaped like a brick and has multiple 1 gauge wires off it and usually a smaller trigger wire. Follow the positive from the battery and also from the alternator, in the middle somewhere, you should find it. Test voltage at back of alternator, then into isolator, then out of isolator, then to battery positive lead. Rerport back with the voltage readings. Make sure to have a hot battery to do this test.

voltchart.gif

This is what I needed and have. Snuck a peak behind panel number two and you described it to a T. Sunday project I now have. Multimeter is on standby, got a battery on trickle charge and I will post up what I find.