• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wishbone 3 link

Markrobinson

Looking for experiences with wishbone upper links. Packaging a traditional 4 link is about impossible with the oil pan, and I am not a huge fan of a typical panhard 3 link, although I can do it.

Rig has 40s and while I'd like to think it might bouncerer, it's more of a leaf looking rig. My thinking is that this setup gives me the performance of a 4 link without the side swing motion of a panhard setup.
I searched too but most pics I found on pirate are broken links.

Upper link will be 3/16" wall 2x2" square tube with gussets in the corners and fish plates top and bottom of all three welded corner areas like this:

D6A8C666-A8BC-4DE3-8F32-F2E3184AA225.jpeg

On a lower HP leaf looker.....I don't see how it'd be a problem.

...now, off I go to check out some sweet "1 link" and "mono spring" pix on Google image search. :)

Will you be able to make your upper link flat? (If not, you'll need/want to triangulate your lowers to keep your roll axis in check)

Is your axle far enough forward that you can get good vertical link separation and the center wishbone joint won't interfere with the crank pulley and still allow decent uptravel? (that's what I've ran into on the Toyota's, and ended up tucking a panhard in there instead, and letting the upper 3 link mount come up beside the engine.

Will you be able to make your upper link flat? (If not, you'll need/want to triangulate your lowers to keep your roll axis in check)

Is your axle far enough forward that you can get good vertical link separation and the center wishbone joint won't interfere with the crank pulley and still allow decent uptravel? (that's what I've ran into on the Toyota's, and ended up tucking a panhard in there instead, and letting the upper 3 link mount come up beside the engine.

I think keeping the upper flat whether it's 3 link or wishbone.

I'll also get some triangulation on the lowers, but nothing crazy. I want to hang them on the frame rails instead of a cross member just Incase I'm dropping the drivetrain.

I think uptravel will be alright. I'm more concerned with the stresses on the upper link axle mount and the link itself. If it's going to be trying to rip itself apart I may scrap the idea.

On a lower HP leaf looker.....I don't see how it'd be a problem.

...now, off I go to check out some sweet "1 link" and "mono spring" pix on Google image search. :)

You saying I should abandon the link suspension experimental wizardry people were trying a decade ago?

You saying I should abandon the link suspension experimental wizardry people were trying a decade ago?
No...just doesn't seem like an area i'd want to compromise that'd probably be difficult to redo if not happy with how it turned out.

Nothing wrong with a 3 link if done right. I mean, if you have your panhard/track bar at like a 70* angle at ride height...that'd be terrible.

If you have facebook look up Anthony Yount. He has the blue torch Fab utlra 4 car and it has a wishbone link system. He might be able to give you the best insights on this.

Nah as long as your joints have enough travel it'll be fine.

2x2 3/16 is kind of an odd size (big for an upper link), but it should package ok since it will only move in a very specific path

Nah as long as your joints have enough travel it'll be fine.

2x2 3/16 is kind of an odd size (big for an upper link), but it should package ok since it will only move in a very specific path

It's just what I have laying around.

I have been under it with a tape measure may just run some 24-26" lowers and 24-26" upper with a panhard and be done. Packaging is a nightmare under here and short arms still beat wagoneer spring under any day.
Those are short lengths but they allow me a perpendicular upper that's level and triangulated 10-15* lowers. A long level panhard should be easy

You can look at the design of Full Traction's suspension Jeep LJ it has a wishbone. You might get some ideas

You gonna put a steering box and hydro assist on it too? Or stick with full hydro? (it's full hydro now isn't it?)

It will stay full hydro. It's not seeing road time any time soon. Gotta preserve these pit bull rockers since they may be some of the last sets produced

Latest posts