• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wood worker question

A purchase that was done almost 7 years ago.

They also own Porter-Cable, Delta, DeVilbiss Air Power, Oldham Saw, and FLEX. Not to mention they have contractual agreements with Hitachi. :awesomework:
I just wonder when a company like B&D buys another company, will that company's traditions of quality be upheld? B&D is found at every Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

I just wonder when a company like B&D buys another company, will that company's traditions of quality be upheld? B&D is found at every Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

Worked at Black and Decker for nearly 3 years and now i've been working at Lowes for over 3 years. From what I've seen and been told, Black and Decker brand products have been shifted to the lower end segment (for cheap homeowners), Porter Cable has been moved to middle grade (a position that used to be held by Firestorm) and Dewalt obviously is their high grade. System seems to be working well and have had very few problems with both PC and Dewalt.

Just so everyone knows, upon the purchase of Dewalt, B & D did not touch or change a thing with Dewalt design or manufacturing. They simply borrowed some design advantages from Dewalt and implemented them in Black and Decker. So in fact Dewalt has not gotten any worse and B&D is a little better.

Just the 5/4 cedar decking.

4" wide? It'll work great. You remember where my house is?

What are you doing? All new decking? Or just replacing a few boards? I have a bunch of leftover 5/4 cedar from a tear-off if you just need some decent wood. The stain looks like crap, but the wood is solid and was only a few years old when the homeowner decided to replace it with composite.

4" wide? It'll work great. You remember where my house is?

What are you doing? All new decking? Or just replacing a few boards? I have a bunch of leftover 5/4 cedar from a tear-off if you just need some decent wood. The stain looks like crap, but the wood is solid and was only a few years old when the homeowner decided to replace it with composite.

Replacing the surface. Took one up because the knot finnaly gave out so there was a crack in the middle of the joist. If a heavier person stood on it, they'd be downstairs.

When we took that one piece up, it came up so easy, and the nails all stayed in the crossmembers. Said to me, 'Replace the entire surface!' 32 boards. I've hand cut 5 so far. Man, that got old... and fast....

Going to have all we need, as far as wood is concerned. Finding inexpensive 16 foot boards was the challange.

Yes, I recall where you live... Will you be home this evening? If the FJ still out in front, as a landmark?

Yes, I recall where you live... Will you be home this evening? If the FJ still out in front, as a landmark?

Yup. If I'm lucky, I might even be working on it, but we'll see.

I should be home, but if not I'll leave it sitting out for you.

425-232-8331

DeWalt all the way. Every brand seems to have their sweet tools, DeWalt has the chop saw. I work on a custom homebuilding crew and our DeWalt has lasted about 8 years now iirc. It's basic, no goofy features that you don't need, just good engineering.

If you can get the slide i would definitely do it. It's nice to have even if you think you won't need it. Sucks having to flip your stock and try to get a clean cut without a slide

First, Thanks Eric for the loan of the chopsaw. It'll be well used this evening. I should be able to get everything cut and the saw back to you by the weekend.

Second, so after searching on-line through various sites, I could not find one saw that declares 'Belt Drive'. So Wife and I went to Lowe's last night and found a few, what I can only guess are belt driven saws by the looks. The motor is at the rear of the set up while this housing goes to the hub where the blade is. I look on the box that would go with said saw, any brand, and there's no mention of 'belt drive'.

So, tell me again why this is so cool if the manufacturers don't even mention it on their products? Is it a toothed belt, ribbed belt, or a smooth belt? Or does it depend on manufacturer?

First, Thanks Eric for the loan of the chopsaw. It'll be well used this evening. I should be able to get everything cut and the saw back to you by the weekend.

Second, so after searching on-line through various sites, I could not find one saw that declares 'Belt Drive'. So Wife and I went to Lowe's last night and found a few, what I can only guess are belt driven saws by the looks. The motor is at the rear of the set up while this housing goes to the hub where the blade is. I look on the box that would go with said saw, any brand, and there's no mention of 'belt drive'.

So, tell me again why this is so cool if the manufacturers don't even mention it on their products? Is it a toothed belt, ribbed belt, or a smooth belt? Or does it depend on manufacturer?

Cant tell you why they dont advertise the fact . All I know is they run quieter:cheer: been using mine for several years with no belt wear issues and I use it a lot.

Laser? or Not to laser?

I own one. You'll notice it's not on my saw.

-Like pokey said, you can't see it in the sunlight.
-It only works on the non-drive (left, generally) side of the blade, so if you're keeping the piece to the right of the blade, the beam is in the wrong spot.
-I usually prefer to adjust the workpiece when the blade's NOT spinning (call me cautious, whatev). It's easier and safer IMO to just drop the blade while it's not moving and line things up that way.
-It doesn't show through blade guards anyway, so you've got to move the guard or lower the blade anyway.

Out of all of them out there. I would go for the home depot 10" duel compound miter slind. They have the best warrenty. As for the laser its a waste of money. Dewalt has gone done hill on the tools. 22yrs of building home I have used about every brand out there. I think i still have a metal handle skill saw even. LOL. The 10" will cut everything you need. I never used my chop saw to cut beams. If you get the ridged get there stand to. Its a nice set-up so you can put it away quik

Out of all of them out there. I would go for the home depot 10" duel compound miter slind. They have the best warrenty. As for the laser its a waste of money. Dewalt has gone done hill on the tools. 22yrs of building home I have used about every brand out there. I think i still have a metal handle skill saw even. LOL. The 10" will cut everything you need. I never used my chop saw to cut beams. If you get the ridged get there stand to. Its a nice set-up so you can put it away quik

oh yea their lots of fun in the rain. bzzzzzz :haha:

No on the Laser, Yes on the blade light. Dewalt makes a good one that mounts on the arm that shines down on the blade. So, where the shadow is on the wood is where the blade is going. Lasers get inaccurate and are waste of money. The light version only works on indoor jobs though... Unless you work at night. :D

Go Rigid its lifetime warranty so if anything does happen take it back for free for a brand new one. you Wont need no sliders or anything like that just a good 12" blade! I do it for a living and use a dewalt but when im doing apartments and condos where I gotta carry it all upstairs I got with my 10" rigid. They are good saws and pretty cheap. Dewalt is hands down the best for abuse. Most of them lazers suck I wouldnt waste a prenny on them.