• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

WTB - Logging Mats/Pallet Mats/Timber Mats

ridered3

Not Rigless
I'm looking for a few logging/pallet/timber mats like linked below.

I'm wanting to pickup a couple of these to use at home as semi-temporary/permanent parking for the enclosed trailer at the end of my driveway which is normally muddy/wet. While I know that concrete or graveling the area would work better, I wanted to see if anyone on here knew of logging/pallet/timber mats that may be available from various sources.

I'm located near Murfreesboro, TN and don't mind a road trip to pickup a couple of these.

Untreated lumber like that will start to rot pretty quickly when in direct contact with wet ground, and bugs will eat the **** out of them. Those mats are for temporary use, then get picked up and usually washed off/let dry out before they go to the next job.
If you're gonna try it, you'll probably be better off just getting some sawmill lumber and building something in-place.

a load of 3-4" rock would be better, especially if you can cut a little drainage ditch (even through the middle of where you're parking, like a french drain)

Untreated lumber like that will start to rot pretty quickly when in direct contact with wet ground, and bugs will eat the **** out of them. Those mats are for temporary use, then get picked up and usually washed off/let dry out before they go to the next job.
If you're gonna try it, you'll probably be better off just getting some sawmill lumber and building something in-place.

a load of 3-4" rock would be better, especially if you can cut a little drainage ditch (even through the middle of where you're parking, like a french drain)

Good point on the untreated lumber aspect (something I hadn't thought about yet) of this hare brain idea.

Reactions: GSI
Good point on the untreated lumber aspect (something I hadn't thought about yet) of this hare brain idea.

Plus, do you have a way of setting them? At nearly 3000 pounds per mat, you need something pretty big to move them around. We used to rent mats from the Mat Rental company here in Jemison Al, and we used the heavy duty cross tie mats for track hoes and bigger equipment to cross marsh lands on. What are you planning on using them for?

Plus, do you have a way of setting them? At nearly 3000 pounds per mat, you need something pretty big to move them around. We used to rent mats from the Mat Rental company here in Jemison Al, and we used the heavy duty cross tie mats for track hoes and bigger equipment to cross marsh lands on. What are you planning on using them for?

Dang I didn't realize they were that heavy which means they'd be too heavy to move around with my tractor.

Due to how our driveway/house is setup, I was going to use a couple of the mats to park the enclosed trailer at the end of the driveway (currently trailer sits in the side yard) instead of pouring concrete or building a gravel parking area for the trailer. My thought process was the mats would be useful and "easy" to move if/when we move from here vs having concrete or gravel parking areas for the trailer.

But it appears this is not a great idea between the untreated lumber and weights.

Dang I didn't realize they were that heavy which means they'd be too heavy to move around with my tractor.

Due to how our driveway/house is setup, I was going to use a couple of the mats to park the enclosed trailer at the end of the driveway (currently trailer sits in the side yard) instead of pouring concrete or building a gravel parking area for the trailer. My thought process was the mats would be useful and "easy" to move if/when we move from here vs having concrete or gravel parking areas for the trailer.

But it appears this is not a great idea between the untreated lumber and weights.

Heavy? That will be an understatement when it comes time to pull them out of the mud when they are sunken. We would move ours using a Komatsu PC210 track hoe and it would not pick them up sometimes. Your best bet would be a large gravel, like a #4 stone we use at construction entrances and such. Good size that is easier to dig up at a later time than smaller #57 or so. If you are worried about getting all the stone out afterwards, using a road bridging fabric under the stone and it makes it much easier to clean up later.

Heavy? That will be an understatement when it comes time to pull them out of the mud when they are sunken. We would move ours using a Komatsu PC210 track hoe and it would not pick them up sometimes. Your best bet would be a large gravel, like a #4 stone we use at construction entrances and such. Good size that is easier to dig up at a later time than smaller #57 or so. If you are worried about getting all the stone out afterwards, using a road bridging fabric under the stone and it makes it much easier to clean up later.

Learned a ton between you and Nick (as expected), so sounds like gravel, the fabric, and building a retaining box is going to be the best route to go.

Learned a ton between you and Nick (as expected), so sounds like gravel, the fabric, and building a retaining box is going to be the best route to go.

A lot of these road building companies will have Drops from job sites and might sell you a piece cheaper than you can buy a roll. NO retaining box required if you leave a flap out and roll the edge afterwards. We used to do all the ROW roads for Al Power and used this stuff endlessly through swampy areas. Hope this helps.

A lot of these road building companies will have Drops from job sites and might sell you a piece cheaper than you can buy a roll. NO retaining box required if you leave a flap out and roll the edge afterwards. We used to do all the ROW roads for Al Power and used this stuff endlessly through swampy areas. Hope this helps.

Good to know drop wise and will certainly look into it.

Was going to build a retaining box since most of the rain water runs right down my driveway through the spot the trailer would be parked in.

Latest posts