• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

WTF?! Used tow rig for a decent deal, unpossible?

RusM

So i decided that I want a tow rig again and knowing diesels are way outta line I started looking for an about 10 year old less than 135k miles, gas crew cab one ton. Cause that should be reasonable, right? Fack no! They're damn near the same price as a clapped out flatbilled used diesel! Then I thought I found a work, the Excursion! NWMotor Ripoffs had one for $8k that looked decent, called and the wanted $20k! :wtf: Went and looked at another one in Oly and they wanted $24k, for an 03 V10 with 70k miles. :mad:

Do I need to get some of the same crack and start smoking it? Or is it possible to get a 10-15 year old heavy duty truck wth <135k miles for about $10k? Can I go somewhere in the cointry to find this unicorn? Keep looking? Roll the dice on a 6.blow?

I am unseasonably mad about this, what the hell happened to the used truck market? :FIREdevil:

From a dealer, that sounds like what I've seen.
My girlfriend paid 20k for an 04 ram 2500 5.7l, with a lift and 87k miles.
Most seemed like that price with over 135k.

I think the lower miles is why they're expensive, but they ARE excessively overpriced.

When I was shopping last year, I couldn't find a super duty for less than high teens and 200K unless it was a beat ass base model 2wd work truck. 100K or less trucks were solidly in the 20s. I wasn't gonna pay that for a 15 year old truck that would still need interior help.

I paid $6,500 for my '94 with 108K and have had to put a trans in it and tires on it.

On the flip side, I got full asking price for my '73 I sold. Prices have gone full retard.

Most of the cause is new trucks cost so ****in much, and the dollar is devalued.

Last edited:
Anyone with a job can finance a vehicle so the prices are up. I know people working part time jobs driving brand new vehicles.

I have a friend who buys and sells cars on the side, he has been going to Canada lately. Just got a 03 f350 for $6000.

I paid $6,500 for my '94 with 108K and have had to put a trans in it and tires on it.

On the flip side, I got full asking price for my '73 I sold. Prices have gone full retard.

Most of the cause is new trucks cost so ****in much, and the dollar is devalued.
When I first got on this kick I thought I could find a truck lik yours but a six pack for what you paid. :haha:

I have a friend who buys and sells cars on the side, he has been going to Canada lately. Just got a 03 f350 for $6000.

Yeah the few decent deals I'm seeing are up there.

How bad are the 6.0 Fords really? How likely is an 03 Duramax with 115k miles to need injectors in the near future? :corn:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5516980352.html

not a bad deal. Not sure what exactly your looking for but patience is what is needed. I looked for 6 months before finding one I wanted within my price range.

240K really aint much for the motor. Tranny will depend on how it was taken care of. Kind of a long drive though to find out it may not be as good as it looks/sounds.

Last edited:
How bad are the 6.0 Fords really?

Depends on the year. Most of the bugs were worked out in the 06-07 models (still far from perfect though). If you are getting an early one that has not had the egr delete done, make sure you have at least a few thousand in set aside for repairs. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

My idiot uncle bought an '04 against my advise (he is one of those people that are "experts" in everything) and within a year he blew a head gasket, it was totally stock and had 45k on the odometer (never towed over 4k lbs at that point). He dropped at least $7,500 getting it repaired.

What's involved in importing and licensing a Canadian truck? I've seen some great deals but shied away from the hassle

What's involved in importing and licensing a Canadian truck? I've seen some great deals but shied away from the hassle

Don't. /conversation.

If you go to a reputable dealership, and they've purchased a 'grey market' vehicle from Canada, via the Dealer Auto Auctions, then you'll be OK. Essentially, the trucks are identical, with a few exceptions (like daytime running lights) (and Wranglers have stickers that read 'TJ' instead of 'Wrangler"). The Auctions will guarantee Title to the Dealer, and the conversion from KM to Miles is already done.

If you decide to risk it yourself, you may get stuck with both Import Tariffs and Tax yourself, and, it's possible the vehicle can be impounded (and never given back).

Edit; before I'd look up north, I'd look hard at the 'oil boom' now 'oil bust' states. I'd think there'd be some good deals in North Dakota, and probably down Texas way about now. Probably save enough $ to pay an air ticket, and the drive home, with money left over.

Last edited:
I'd take a 6 leaker. Just don't do an 03 (preferably 05+). And have about 3500 set aside (immediately) for the correct mods.

As for other used rigs. I'd rather take on another house payment and buy a new rig then pay these jackasses a premium for their used crap. Especially those that feel low miles up the price 100%

I'd take a 6 leaker. Just don't do an 03 (preferably 05+). And have about 3500 set aside (immediately) for the correct mods.

As for other used rigs. I'd rather take on another house payment and buy a new rig then pay these jackasses a premium for their used crap. Especially those that feel low miles up the price 100%

Yep^ I'm giving some thought to rolling the dice with one. But that blows either my dirt bike or wheeler money, goddamnit! My whole diabolical plan with getting a truck is that I can get a wheeler again and have something to tow it with! :stirpot::redneck:

When I'm looking to buy something I stay persistent in my search with cash in hand. I picked up a 98 extra cab 4x4 12 valve cummins for $1250 with 350K it ran great. Six months later I bought a 94 regular cab 4x4 12 valve for a $1000 with 354k it ran great I just needed to put the rearend back together. Six months later I made a weekend run to Montana to pick up a 94 f350 turbo diesel crewcab 4x4 for $2000 with 200k and it ran great just needed a clutch. We recently bought a 04 6.0 excursion with 124k for the wife we went to Oregon to get it. We paid 19k for the rig and spent another 5100 on delete, head studs, exhaust, programmer and a monitor. I think it's all about staying persistent in your search and having cash in hand and being ready to jump on the deal when it pops up.

^^ that 5100 was money well spent. Should be a reliable rig now. I'd drive my 6.0 across the country fully loaded without thinking twice about it