• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

WVO duramax Build

japerry

Okay. now before I say anything. I'm just waiting for those who'll post...

:corn: :corn: :corn:

and

:eeek: :eeek: :eeek:

and

:looser: :looser: :looser:

I know what your opinions are, and I believe you're wrong. I'll be happy to eat crow when my IP/Injectors/etc go out. With that out of the way. Time to do some explaining.

Background
I've been running a 1983 Mercedes 300SD for 2 1/2 years on 100% WVO. I purchased the kit from Kent Bergsma at mercedessource up in Bellingham. He has a good grip of what is good and not good for mercedes engines, so I trusted him when he said that 'if done properly, wvo shouldn't do anything bad to a mercedes engine'. That said, I have 40,000 miles on WVO, and besides other engine problems (the car wasn't in great shape when I bought it), its been running great. If you look at the average price of fuel over 2.5 years, its about $3.50. It gets about 20mpg. I spent $1100 on the Mercedes kit. I've saved $6100.

In 2006 I purchased a Jeep CRD with the plan to convert it to veggie oil. Suffice it to say, these vehicles barely ran with Diesel in them, much less converted. In June I dumped this vehicle and bought a duramax.

Why Duramax?
IMG_1329.jpg

Many swear by Cummins as the engine of choice for WVO. I'll be honest, I'm not a dodge guy. Grew up with GM, swear by GM. That said, I gotta have some science behind me. Many people talk about the '02-'04 Dmax's and WVO/engine problems. They are right. These engines Suck. The LB7 and early LLYs are trash, and I would never run one. They have injector problems regardless of fuel.
However, the late model LLY, or even better, LBZ engines are awesome. The LBZ engine has a much improved injector system, and gets rid of the FICM. The other nice thing about this engine is the ability to tune it perfectly. With all the sensors around it, you can pretty much tune it to run WVO in a safe matter. No more guessing. Add a VOcontroller on the fuel side, and you have pre-timed switchovers, automatic diesel purging, etc.
Many have ringed sounds of success with later model dmaxs. That said, at $3500 for injector replacement, I can afford to replace my injectors every 3 years on the dmax and STILL come out on top.

The conversion
First, start with some diagrams. I whipped these up in Omnigraffle.
Fuel Diagram:
DMAX-FuelDiagram.jpg

DMAX-CoolantDiagram.jpg

The Parts
Most parts were purchased from Plant Drive. They sell a duramax kit. But be warned, these kits are not nearly the quality of something from Mercedessource. THe instructions are rough, have no pictures, nor diagrams. You receive 10 different boxes, all drop shipped at different times, and you're on the hook for your own hoses, hose clamps, etc.
IMG_1331.jpg

Basically, whatever you paid for the kit, add another $500 in extra parts. This is why for mercedes conversions, I'd highly suggest mercedessource.com -- you get EVERYTHING in the kit, down to a roll of dottie tape to wrap your coolant lines.
When the conversion is finished, I'll make a line item checklist. The cost will come to about $4000. Considerably more than the mercedes. But I plan on having this truck a LONG time. Think about it, a trip to Moab and back could save ~$500.

Relocation
Today, we took a look at where things would go. Because the vormax is so huge, it really only fit in the bed of the truck.
IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

We needed more space in the engine compartment, so I decided to move the Aux battery to the bed of the truck. That opened up a 7"x11" working space. More than enough for the valves and hotplate.
IMG_1336.jpg

Started plumbing in the filters. The inner lip of the bed works really well to bolt things to. Made a few brackets to help keep things stable:
IMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

Look further below for the rest of the story....

Last edited:
go for it.. we got replacement injectors on the shelf...

bio/wvo conversions are great for low presure fuel systems, comon rails are a whole diferent animal..
bio is bad enough, but wvo you never have any idea what the base stock is , aditives etc. alot of base stocks " plasticsize " at higher presures

but hey... atleast your planing ahead w/ 2 mic filters....

Just put a 12v Cummins in your chevy,.....still have chevy truck, and I am pretty sure you could sell the D-max Isuzu for a whole lot more than the Cummins..................So you could put money in your pocket to pay for the whole system to convert it over.:beer:

Day 2 update!

I started working on getting the fittings ready. Plantdrive shipped some crappy plastic fittings. These would all need to be replaced with Brass+Epoxy
IMG_1338.jpg

After we finished with the brackets, we started on the main fuel hose. Pictured below are 4 lines wrapped in insulation:
* WVO source (from FASS Pump after the filters)
* WVO return
* Coolant loop out
* Coolant loop in
IMG_1339.jpg

All wrapped up! I HIGHLY suggest doing the hose-on-hose (HOH) instead of the hose-in-hose that some sell. I don't trust a copper hose to be put inside a rubber hose, then twisted to fit into a truck. Having one wall fail will end up causing Coolant and diesel/wvo to mix.. BAD!
IMG_1340.jpg

Left some room on the backend for one coolant line, and the source WVO line to split away from the tank.
IMG_1341.jpg

The battery cable was DAMN expensive. About $178 bucks at hardware sales. It was routed next to the hose bundle:
IMG_1344.jpg

Epoxy'd the fittings on the tank:
IMG_1345.jpg

This is how the filters will work. We'll see how the vormax holds up, I may switch it to another Stanadyne.
IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

The picture below shows two valves ontop of the hot plate. The hotplate interweaves coolant and wvo together to get it upto temp. The dmax has an added advantage as its coolant gets warmed by the exhaust.
The top valve is for looping (as shown in the diagram) and the bottom valve is for the source feed (also in the diagram):
IMG_1352.jpg

I put the return valve just above the engine return/diesel return, since the return line for diesel was pretty short. It also helps that two screws already existed that we could bolt a bracket into:
IMG_1353.jpg

Because my VOcontroller got delayed, I'll have to finish up conversion next weekend. Until then, questions, comments? enjoy!
Should have the conversion done by Saturday.

Last edited:
The conversion is nearly finished! Time for some more photos

Wiring the Beast
For the wiring, I used the VOController, available at vocontroller.com. Ray has done a pretty good job of documenting the installation. You can download the install module here: http://www.vocontrol.com/VegECU_Manual_2.pdf

What I will be covering here is the specific installation of the VOController on the Duramax. I have the 'premium' version of the controller (not the starter edition). Relevant pages:
  1. 13: Fuel Sender wiring diagram
  2. 14: Temperature sender diagrams
  3. 18: Valve diagram with FASS Pump. Note, the diagram doesn't cover the loop valve, which is on page 15. You can add the wiring for 15 where the supply valve is on page 18
  4. 20: Sorta.. in theory. Eventually I'll be using a heater blanket for the Racor if I can't get the temp up enough
  5. 21: Auto purge and ignition wiring
  6. 25: Fuel pressure transducer sender diagram

The other pages talk about the configuration of the controller. I haven't fully configured it yet, so thats for another post.

Tapping into the ignition circuit
Taking apart the steering wheel in the GM is quite easy. This is a great writeup which explains howto access the ignition harness. Once its all apart, the harness is in plain view. Route the 'Accessory' and 'Power 1' wires to the ignition switch:
IMG_1358.JPG

The accessory wire goes into the brown wire in the harness, and the Power 1 wire goes into the orange wire in the harness. The brown gets voltage when you turn the key to ACC, orange gets voltage when you turn to ON.
IMG_1363.JPG

I put the ignition relay underneath the dash, near the air bag wire. There is a nice screw that you can attach the relay to.
IMG_1361.JPG

Here is the end result, after some tape to make it look good.
IMG_1364.JPG

You can put back together the steering wheel. It might be good to double check your work with a volt meter if you're unsure you did everything right.

Pressure Transducer
I've mounted this sensor to one of the auxiliary feeds on the Stanadyne filter head. The wires are shielded and need to run up front. important! Don't run the transducer wires along side the FASS pump!
Since the wires are 22AWG shielded, it'd be good to find a 4-6 wire shielded cable to splice to:
IMG_1364.JPG

You can see in the picture below that the battery and FASS cables run alongside the insulated fuel lines (to the right). On the left, I looped out the grey cable to show where I ran the transducer. This will keep the two from interfering. Make sure that when the cables come into the engine compartment to still keep the FASS and transducer wires as far apart as possible.
IMG_1367.JPG

The grey wire comes out, and crimps to the associated wires specified in the VOcontroller manual.
IMG_1373.JPG

Valves and FASS wiring
In page 18 (and 15) you'll see the 2 relays that control the pumps and valves. I don't have a Diesel fuel pump, so you can just tape off the Red lead that is supposed to run to the diesel fuel pump.
IMG_1372.JPG

Also make sure the FASS wires go far away from the temp and pressure wires. I suggest routing the ground and +12v in the front. The FASS needs to be wired directly to the battery feed and ground (not the chassis)
IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

Wiring the +12v for controller
The controller itself does not need that much power. The ignition relay is low amperage, so is the illumination. I wired the ignition relay to the AUX power fuse (the right cigarette port) and the illumination is wired into one of the low-beam headlights. I'd rather put it in the running lights, but the 'add-a-circuit' is too big for this fuse spot, which is wedged between two relays.
IMG_1369.JPG

Rear filter system
This is the complete filter setup in the back of the truck. You can see the pressure transducer on the left of the stanadyne filter head.
IMG_1374.JPG

Fuel Sender
I wish the fuel tank had a cover for the wires and fuel lines. I'll probably get that fabbed up when I get case built around the filters.
IMG_1375.JPG

VOController ECU
I placed the VOController in a nice little compartment under the driverside dash, to the upper left of the brake. It fits in well there. I then ran some shielded CAT5e wire up the A pillar into the roof for the LCD.
IMG_1377.JPG

I put some packing foam behind the LCD to keep it pushed to the front, and then attached it with some velcro on the top and left side. It works pretty well, you can press on it and it doesn't move.
IMG_1379.JPG

Whats left now?
1st, I gotta program the VOController for auto purge. Also need to bleed the VO lines. (I put 10 gallons of diesel in there so far. I'll gradually put in more VO)
The second thing I noticed is that the placement of the fuel temp sensor is not right. Since the temp sensor is currently AFTER the supply valve, it will display the temperature of diesel fuel and never raise in temperature to trigger the VO switch. I can manually purge now.
Lastly, do some wire cleanup in the engine bay.

Last edited:
Jakob, get rid of all those butt connectors/ and scotch lok connectors---you're askin for trouble down the road!!!! use good crimp connectors and heat shrink tubing to seal all the splices....:awesomework: Otherwise, very cool!!!:cool:
BTW, are you planning on coming down to walker (sorry for the hijack!) this weekend?

Jakob, get rid of all those butt connectors/ and scotch lok connectors---you're askin for trouble down the road!!!! use good crimp connectors and heat shrink tubing to seal all the splices....:awesomework: Otherwise, very cool!!!:cool:
BTW, are you planning on coming down to walker (sorry for the hijack!) this weekend?

heh funny you mention the scotch lok and butt connectors, Its all low voltage/amperage, which is why I'm guessing they suggested it. (all the connectors came with the kit)
That said, I'm interested if there is a better way to splice multiple branches off one wire.

Oh yah I'll be there Sat. and maybe sunday... we'll see.

I to have an old 1981 300td. It will run on anything. Used motor oil, SVO, ATF, corn dogs, whatever. I'm a little scared to see what svo will do to your injection system. But hey, I say go for it! Everyone told me not to build my own propane setup for the Benz and it works totally awesome. :D

heh funny you mention the scotch lok and butt connectors, Its all low voltage/amperage, which is why I'm guessing they suggested it. (all the connectors came with the kit)
That said, I'm interested if there is a better way to splice multiple branches off one wire.

Oh yah I'll be there Sat. and maybe sunday... we'll see.

Low voltage or not, It's still a lousy contact; not to mention the open connectors allow moisture in & corrosion to develop...trust me, you will eventually be fighting electrical gremlins!!!!:awesomework:

Low voltage or not, It's still a lousy contact; not to mention the open connectors allow moisture in & corrosion to develop...trust me, you will eventually be fighting electrical gremlins!!!!:awesomework:

Heh yah, most definitely I'm going to go get some wiremold friday and wrap the rest of my connectors with electrical tape or wire heat molding. I'll probably redo all the scotch-lok connectors in the engine bay as well, to keep corrosion out.

edit.. so I talked to one of our electrical engineers today, he said that there is a anti-corrosion coating you can dip the connectors into, which will keep the connection from oxidizing

Last edited: