• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

XJ rear 4 link

Hotrodpayton

Jesus Saves
Patrick Murrah is about to 4 link the rear of an XJ for me. My question is this, what coil spring to run in the rear to keep the ride height low? I want to stay at 4'' Total lift. This isn't a real common swap over so info is not so readily available on forums or sales sites. The only thing I've mostly noticed it the kits on the e net saying to use a 4'' front xj spring. Anyone have any experience with this? Again this is a lowcog build. Trying to keep it super stable on the stock width axles and 35's.

Stable? Then you should have just saved the fab/labor and done a good set of leaves back there. There's a reason you most modded up XJ's still use leaves in the rear.....it works.

I wanted to do this as well way long ago when I ran XJ's and believe I was told to look at / contact Iron Rock Offroad about it. Then the more I looked into it, leaves were fine. I've seen a few linked XJ's over the years and they've all been kinda "leany" if that's a word.

I watched one go around a corner on the paved road at Windrock at about 30mph and I'm pretty sure if they had a drink in their drink holder it woulda fallen out. :)

It all depends how the coil towers and pads are fabbed. I've used Xj front springs on other rigs before. I have a new set Pathfinder coil springs that may work for you. I will get measurements and pics if interested.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

If you put your spring mount on the bottom of your uni body rail. which you just about have to do, you will need a very short spring to keep ride height low. Think stock rear tj spring

x2 on just putting longer rear leaves on it and moving on. Motobilt has some beautiful parts for that as well as others

muddinmetal said:
x2 on just putting longer rear leaves on it and moving on. Motobilt has some beautiful parts for that as well as others

I wish I would've tried the Liquid Iron leaf sliders. I think those would be the way to go.

I knew someone on here would have some experience with this and I'm glad you posted. The last thing i want is 5.5" or lift or a slinky to ride around in. Those sliders look like the absolute ticket, had a buddy with them on a cj one time and it worked good. Lowcog is the main priority with this build, it's mainly for my me, my dad and son for now, a couple years and it's just dad's when I get a buggy built again. And he wants it low and stable.

In my opinion, a rear link suspension is the absolute best thing you can do to a xj. It get rid of all the pressure on the unibody and it rides sooo much better in the woods. Make a day wheeling much more pleasant. My wheeling xj is 4 linked in the rear and I use 3.5" lift rubicon express lift coil springs trimmed down to make ride height. It works well....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 109
tonybolton said:
I wish I would've tried the Liquid Iron leaf sliders. I think those would be the way to go.
Dude, have you looked up the price on the Xj sliders?? Good googley moogley are they proud of them. $290 for some bolt on slider boxes.

The Luke said:
Dude, have you looked up the price on the Xj sliders?? Good googley moogley are they proud of them. $290 for some bolt on slider boxes.

Less than a 4 link. :)

I still think a regular cookie cutter XJ on some 35's/locked front rear/with some Deaver type springs and leaf sliders would be the way to go. Simple. Quick. Way cheaper.

4 linking the back of an XJ is like retubing/gusseting/trussing/freespin converting a D30.

Hell, mine doesn't even have doors! I've seen that fancy ass air conditioner you've got in that thing. Ridiculous.

The Luke said:
Hell, mine doesn't even have doors! I've seen that fancy ass air conditioner you've got in that thing. Ridiculous.

Oh, you mean my cooling fan I have hard wired in cuz I can't afford a relay? LOL