• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

xrc winches with sythetic line

skinny_pedal

looking at the smittybuilt winches. Is the sythetic rope that comes on them decent. Or is it very prone to snapping?

You knew you were going to hear it so I am going to be the first **** to say it...

Save a little more and get a Warn. Had a couple of buddies with the Smitty winches and they have all had problems. I will say the customer service was good and they got the parts they needed to fix them. Mostly control box/solenoid issues, but issues non the less that could leave your rig on the trail.

Get the M8000 and be done with it.

**** I just bought a smitty built XRC 8000lb
Find the Pirate thread on them. From reviewing the thread, most of the issues can/could be prevented on a new winch will a little TLC. Most stems from taking the solenoid box apart and doing a better job sealing it.

FYI, my WARN solenoids give be a hassle sometimes too on my HS9500, so its not brand specific, its just PNW weather :D

I liked my Smitty while I had it... till it got stolen :mad:

Find the Pirate thread on them. From reviewing the thread, most of the issues can/could be prevented on a new winch will a little TLC. Most stems from taking the solenoid box apart and doing a better job sealing it.

FYI, my WARN solenoids give be a hassle sometimes too on my HS9500, so its not brand specific, its just PNW weather :D

I liked my Smitty while I had it... till it got stolen :mad:

Cool thanks

I haver installed LOTS of smittys. They KICK ASS for 3 bills. Warns cheapy is no better then the smitty.

If your a dumbass and cant use a winch with some common sense then they ALL will give you hell.

Dont manhandle ANY winches engage lever.

Dont EVER mount the control box to the top of the winch.

Copper is very expensive and ALL winch companies will sacrifice reliability for COST when it comes to cables.

You need to have three cables crimped up that are a couple feet long so the control box can be mounted INSIDE the engine compartment.

The only warn I will buy has a big ol motor ON TOP and is faster than hell.

Soooo, where do I get large terminals and the crimper to make my own cables? Grainger or? I have some good, large cables. Just need to make them the proper size.. Very few people care much about wiring, and this Jeep I just picked up is certainly no different... It came with a smittybilt

Sorry for the hijack Gavin :redneck:

Soooo, where do I get large terminals and the crimper to make my own cables? Grainger or? I have some good, large cables. Just need to make them the proper size.. Very few people care much about wiring, and this Jeep I just picked up is certainly no different... It came with a smittybilt

Sorry for the hijack Gavin :redneck:
Grainger, probably.

McLendon's of all places actually has fine-strand "cable" tyle terminals. Atleast the one by me does. Couldn't tell you what sizes off the top of my head though.

Try any auto electric places (like the ones that do alternators and such).

Failing that, walk into a Platt Electric supply of the like and see what they can order you.

As for crimpers, your going to need to find the right one. Electrical shop or the above auto electric shop. Or there is they guys at the swap meets that make/sell custom cables......

Last time I looked into it, it was actually cheaper to buy the regular XRC then buy a name brand (winchline.com) synthetic line to put on it. That also gave you a steel cable as a backup.

FWIW, I love my XRC. Had a solenoid die, but got great service and new one to me for free, not even shipping. It's been good ever since.

~T.J.

I've been running a smutty synthetic line on my winch for about 6 months now. No complaints here. I've used it numerous times, even ran it through a snatch and it did fine. No fraying or any issues for me.

Grainger, probably.

McLendon's of all places actually has fine-strand "cable" tyle terminals. Atleast the one by me does. Couldn't tell you what sizes off the top of my head though.

Try any auto electric places (like the ones that do alternators and such).

Failing that, walk into a Platt Electric supply of the like and see what they can order you.

As for crimpers, your going to need to find the right one. Electrical shop or the above auto electric shop. Or there is they guys at the swap meets that make/sell custom cables......

Williams Oil & Filter in Tacoma can also make them or sell you the parts to make your own.

Most 5/16" winch ropes (Amsteel, Viking etc...) are rated around 12,000 lbs. The Smittybuilt is only rated at 8000lbs on a slightly larger diameter rope!

Smittybuilt rope is not the same as real amsteel blue (the same stuff as viking trail line and amsteelblue.com rope). Newer cheap winches that are coming with rope are not going to be very high quality. Be very careful what you get, with rope you get what you pay for.

-Alex