• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Y Link Front End

Krobbie

Hey guys I'm going to attempt a Y link front end on my FJ40. What should I look out for?
Is there a set difference in length I should try to achieve? Upper link 75% of main link etc? Is there a desired angle between links I should try achieve?
Any help would be awesome cheers guys

I guess your talking about a wish bone set up? I done my old Buggie like that and loved it but it wasn't a bouncer Buggie , not saying it wouldn't hold up to that style of riding but couldn't guarantee it would.I made my upper wishbone 70% length of my lowers and mounted it level to the ground( this will depend on your set up and ride height mine was real low) All my Heims were 3/4" but I bought the best 1 1/4" heim I could find for the wishbones pivot point thinking it was going to take all the side load force. This front end setup was awesome for trail riding and flexed like nuts. The reason I went with the wish bone setup was because of the oil pan was all in the way for a 4 link setup. I would rather beat on a 4 link setup with a big motor but a trail rig would have no problem with this at all.

Cheers for the reply, have you any pics?

I was thinking a setup like this
baqusavu.jpg

Prob don't have any good pics of it but mine was regular lower links. Upper was 1 joint in the middle of the axle and 2 on the frame like a y

That is a 3 link set up with a pan hard bar. The 2 little bars on the lowers to the upper of the housing just helps with axle roll, it takes some of the pressure off of the pan hard mounts. A lot of the we rock guys run a 3 link setup, the ones I've talked to say the work alright but they only run them because they don't have room for a 4 link.Ive seen that setup work real well but I'm partial to the wish bone set up.

Elliott said:
That is a 3 link set up with a pan hard bar. The 2 little bars on the lowers to the upper of the housing just helps with axle roll, it takes some of the pressure off of the pan hard mounts. A lot of the we rock guys run a 3 link setup, the ones I've talked to say the work alright but they only run them because they don't have room for a 4 link.Ive seen that setup work real well but I'm partial to the wish bone set up.

No, that pic he posted is a Radius Arm setup. It does not have a separate upper link, the short links control all the "roll" torque.

The panhard bar doesn't have anything to do with axle roll, it controls side-to-side movement, so you don't have to have triangulation.

A 3 Link + Panhard bar setup has 3 separate links (usually 2 lowers and 1 upper), plus a panhard bard.

That's what I was saying that the little bars just help the axle roll. The pan hard is for side to side.

I need to keep my push/pull steering setup so I need my Panhard. I need to check what room I have for a 3 link, def can't fit a 4 link

Post some pictures of the underside of your front end. Will help visualize what you are working with better and then these guys with link experience can help even more.

janyryha.jpg

by6a5y9y.jpg

I attempted a LC radius arm setup but got castor angle wrong so while I'm fixing it I want to upgrade it