• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

yay or nay? (winch)

As I remember, a basic rule of thumb is a pulling capacity of one and a half times the weight of your vehicle. So the max weight of a vehicle for which this would be appropriate is about 2300 pounds. I don't know what you run, but I would be willing to bet that it is a lot more than 2300 pounds.

I would say more like 8K since your rig (loaded) is going to be more than 3300 pounds (5000/1.5). You might get by with a 6000# but it is going to have a limited lifetime, particulary with an off-brand.

Cheap winch, go for a shittybilt. Maybe even the new waterproof one.

The winch posted in the op IS an ATV winch!
I have known several folks that run the Smitty with very little issue---but they are what they are, and do have the drawbacks (controller is crap, but can be bypassed with in-cab control-saving the controller for absolutely when needed)...
I have also seen the Tabor winch JimPaget speaks of in use :D---seems like it works fine to pull his rig out of stucks...:awesomework::redneck:

You can spend around $300-500 and get a good used Warn...either an M8000, or even an XD9000i if you're patient...

x2 on that shitty built. I have one, never had an issue and got for 150 in the box! but i replaced the controller, **** would stay pulling after i released the button.....kinda scary.

I have yet to see a controller fail, but i have seen a lot of guys running those smittybilt winches... They seem to like them and they seem FAST. But then again, compared to my milemarker... everythings fast.