• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

YJ Cage question

NotMatt

Alright, so once I get a new motor in my DD, I'm going to start taking apart my YJ so I can work on the cage and assorted other stuff that needs to be done before I can swap my axles in and such...

One of the things I've been pondering the past few weeks while I've been driving the rig around, is how I can add some A-pillars to the existing factory cage and still be able to use my full doors. My goal is to beef up what's there and still be able to use the hard top and full doors if I feel so inclined in the winter. I really can't see how I will be able to fit some 1.5" or 1.75" tubing in the "pocket" between the dash and the doors and still be able to use the window crank to roll the window up and down.

Seems like kind of a silly question, but it's been bugging the hell out of me and I can't figure out how to search for something so specific on Pirate... I want to see how you've done this and get some ideas. I suppose the window crank handles could be shortened, but IME those are always made out of some cheap pot metal or something that can't be welded, so I'm not sure how that would work... gimme some ideas.

:haha:

crash said:
In order to make the full doors fit you will just need to iboard the A-pillars

Well, I know that part... I'm just trying to see if anyone has a unique idea to fit the tube in the little pocket that seems to be made perfectly for it between the dash and the full door... and still be able to roll the window up and down on my full doors... "not enough room" seems to go through my head every time I look... and I'm not seeing a way to make the a-pillar tube any more recessed (there's no dash in this part to cut into).

I think I'm going to have to just find some smaller window crank handles. I know they had them on older cars (my dad's '53 chevy had little shorty ones for the vent windows).

Or maybe I'm completely missing the obvious solution here... which I tend to do from time to time. :D

NotMatt said:
Well, I know that part... I'm just trying to see if anyone has a unique idea to fit the tube in the little pocket that seems to be made perfectly for it between the dash and the full door... and still be able to roll the window up and down on my full doors... "not enough room" seems to go through my head every time I look... and I'm not seeing a way to make the a-pillar tube any more recessed (there's no dash in this part to cut into).

I think I'm going to have to just find some smaller window crank handles. I know they had them on older cars (my dad's '53 chevy had little shorty ones for the vent windows).

Or maybe I'm completely missing the obvious solution here... which I tend to do from time to time. :D

That's the standard placement for any off the shelf or custom A pillar for a YJ. Down between the dash and door and then it bends forward towards the firewall so as not to be in the way when you are trying t o get in and out.

Alright... I WAS missing the obvious solution. Open the door 3 inches and roll the damn window down.

Problem solved. Thanks for putting up with my dumbass question. :redneck: :looser:

But as brad stated thats just typical.. Other typical issue is bending your E-brake pedal/release handle...

Have you seen how the Poison Spyder cages are made? They tie the A pillar into the body with some sort of plate setup. I have no idea how strong the finished product is but it might be worth taking a look.

www.spydercustoms.com

WhizBangChris said:
Have you seen how the Poison Spyder cages are made? They tie the A pillar into the body with some sort of plate setup. I have no idea how strong the finished product is but it might be worth taking a look.

www.spydercustoms.com

Yeah, I've seen their cages before in TJ's... not sure if I like the plate design. I suppose it's probably fine, but I want tube in the important spots, not plate. I just wouldn't feel comfortable with that type of setup, whereas building it myself with tube is going to put the quality of the final product in my hands. (Eek that might not be a good thing! :eek: :redneck: )