• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

YJ Shackle Reversal; Yes or No?

BiggMayn

What is everyone's opinion on reversing the shackles? I know that the ride is suppost to be better reversed, but I'm not going to on the road much. Thanks for the input.:beer:

I've still got shackle forward but I don't like it. It always 'inverts' them when the front encounters an obstacle.

I've still got shackle forward but I don't like it. It always 'inverts' them when the front encounters an obstacle.

change how it is set up so it cant invert.

I wheel the rocks and like the steep climbs, shackle forward is the best. I had it reversed for a few days and hated it. Torched it off with 4 days left until I had to leave for moab!

change how it is set up so it cant invert.

I wheel the rocks and like the steep climbs, shackle forward is the best. I had it reversed for a few days and hated it. Torched it off with 4 days left until I had to leave for moab!

Yep, limit the shackles so that they can't invert. Shackle forward is the only way to go if you are into the steep stuff. Plus you don't have to buy a $450 driveline.

As a former SUA shackle forward wheeler, I would say forward only..

I've seen numerous shackle reversed rigs try to climb something then slide back and the shackle grabs, bending the leaf.

If you can learn to pick the correct line and learn where your shackles are, you'll be fine.

If you do a shacle reversal, a long travel slip yoke is required and the tires will move back when you hit an obstacle, causing them to rub more.

Could you explain that more

As you climb vertically with shackle reversal, the axle will move away from the vehicle significantly. The more fuel you give it, the more the axle will torque down and away. This causes the suspension to unload and your center of gravity to move backwards. Another bonus is that the axle becomes some what uncontrolled and will wrap from side to side violently.

The only way to go, but build a kit and not buy one. You can build one or have one built for a little more than buying a kit and you get a set up alot stronger.:awesomework:

As you climb vertically with shackle reversal, the axle will move away from the vehicle significantly. The more fuel you give it, the more the axle will torque down and away. This causes the suspension to unload and your center of gravity to move backwards. Another bonus is that the axle becomes some what uncontrolled and will wrap from side to side violently.

If it is set up wrong then yes the front axle will want to walk out from under the rig. If you put more than 3 seconds of thought into the suspension before welding it in place then that issue is null. Can't say I've ever witnessed or even heard of any side to side action going on. I can imagine it'd happen if there were retarded long shackles involved or if the bushings were worn away to nothing or loose...