• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Yota Hydro steer questions

To bump this up instead of starting a new thread about fluid....I wanna know more about fluid. I'm about to try a new belt on my junk and see how it does, if it's still kinda crappy, I'm gonna swap from standard ps fluid to something else. Obviously the Royal Purple full synthetic is recommended for the TG pumps, so unless it's convincing enough to swap to hydraulic fluid instead, that's likely what I'll be using.

About hydraulic fluid, better or worse than Royal Purple and why? Can one withstand higher temps than the other without foaming up? If so, that's probably the one I need. Are there different types of hydraulic fluid? Kinds to avoid?

TacomaJD said:
To bump this up instead of starting a new thread about fluid....I wanna know more about fluid. I'm about to try a new belt on my junk and see how it does, if it's still kinda crappy, I'm gonna swap from standard ps fluid to something else. Obviously the Royal Purple full synthetic is recommended for the TG pumps, so unless it's convincing enough to swap to hydraulic fluid instead, that's likely what I'll be using.

About hydraulic fluid, better or worse than Royal Purple and why? Can one withstand higher temps than the other without foaming up? If so, that's probably the one I need. Are there different types of hydraulic fluid? Kinds to avoid?

I hate to get slightly off topic, but has anyone ever used tractor 303 in their systems.... anti wear, anti foam, easily found, etc.

Just use regular tractor hydraulic/transmission oil.

Keep it cool and it'll be fine.

Royal purple is expensive snake oil.

If you want to spend money on high dollar synthetics, go amsoil

TBItoy said:
Just use regular tractor hydraulic/transmission oil.

Keep it cool and it'll be fine.

Royal purple is expensive snake oil.

If you want to spend money on high dollar synthetics, go amsoil

I always run agricultural hyd oil. Key is a good cooler!!

What defines a good cooler, a big one? I reckon my system is the Trail Gear full hydro kit with 1,650 tc pump, cooler, 6" double ended ram, etc. Cooler is in front of my radiator. No electric fan, only stock clutch fan.

Pretty much as large as you can get. I run mine on the front of my radiator as well. On 5brosfabs ranger I actually put 2 6" electric fans on his. That worked pretty good too. The at hyd fluid doesn't thin out as bad as power steering fluid.

muddinmetal said:
I hate to get slightly off topic, but has anyone ever used tractor 303 in their systems.... anti wear, anti foam, easily found, etc.
There's a few guys I ride with that runs 303. They seem to have good luck with it. If I ever have any trouble with mine I'm going to switch over to it myself.( unless I start hearing a bunch of negative feed back on it) I've heard of some running it in there shocks too. :dunno:

Opinions on this style cooler, it works similar to how a radiator works, multiple thin flat tubes with fins, as opposed to the coolers that have one tube that stays the same diameter and has multiple passes.

Attachments

• CAM01439.jpg
    CAM01439.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 128
First I have no proof of this just how I feel. I prefer to use a tube and fin style on steering because it is easy for the oil to flow through without much resistance. On a trans the plate style like you have pictured is said to be better on the internets but I have not run a plate style yet.

My experience with the trail gear 1650 pump has not been good they replace 2 pumps under warranty within a two month period I purchased the pump double end ram and orbital from them new and have a 4 row cooler in front of radiator I have a Dana 60 front so I have the 8 inch ram the first pump whined just after a few minutes running just driving on flat ground when it was put in least bit of bind it would totally quit no steering the second one same results but could steer it very little in a bind a buddy of mine had a new PSC pump he had bought for his buggy build I put it on solved my problem looking down in the fittings on the PSC compared to the TG it was visibly bigger on the warranty just so you know from TG the first thing they asked me what kind of fluid was in it I did as instructed and had royal purple in it they gave me a full refund for the price of the pump after I told them I had to put a PSC on it to correct the problem I don't think they would have if I had another type of fluid in it

Finally finished it up tonight, steers with one finger, orbotal is stupid quick, one turn lock to lock. Can't wait to try it out. :dblthumb:

Attachments

• CAM01477.jpg
    CAM01477.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 126
  • CAM01450.jpg
    CAM01450.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 134
  • CAM01451.jpg
    CAM01451.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 127
I have Howe stuff with a TSC 6" ram. Everything works great but when I get in a little bit of a bind it doesn't want to turn unless I get the wheels spinning. I was under the impression that you could park beside a tree and turn into it and full hydraulic steering should be able to push you off the tree? buggy weight 2680 lbs. with 37s.

Not to hijack the thread but this is kinda on subject.

How are you guys running 8" rams? I have a 6" and had to limit it down to more like 5 1/4. One thing I HATE about yota axles is their turning.

I turned the wheels lock to lock and measured how far they turn. Then made the ram turn that far and no more so I didn't crush anything in the axle. It turns them lock to lock.

Did I do it wrong???? Id LOVE to get some more turning out of them.

Re:

Sounds like your pump is weak, or the orbital or ram is bypassing.

8" ram is for low steer. I assume you are running high steer.

Set it up so it turns till the knuckle seals hit. It'll be fine

Running the tg full hydro kit with no issues. Have always used the royal purple synthetic that they recommend. Maybe I overpaid for fluid but have had no whining or overheating issues

Finally got to wheel it. Does good but now the ram is starting to leak a little. Probably going to upgrade to a dual ended eventually.

Last stupid question, should I be looking at a 6" or 8" ram? Also I've seen some setups that will steer with the engine off, mine won't, is that an orbital issue or characteristic of a single ended ram? :dunno:

grcthird said:
Last stupid question, should I be looking at a 6" or 8" ram? Also I've seen some setups that will steer with the engine off, mine won't, is that an orbital issue or characteristic of a single ended ram? :dunno:

6" for high steer (with standard off the shelf hi steer arms)
8" for low steer (or custom steering with longer arms

most orbitals will steer with the engine off, but only when they are rolling or the tires are off the ground (less resistance), also assuming that the orbital is in good shape internally, because you are essentially manually pumping fluid to the ram...