• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Yota tranny rebuild

Grommit327

So how hard is it to tear into a transmission and throw a rebuild kit at it. My friend has a G52/54 (not sure which yet) that has a bearing that is howling pretty good. Is this something that a shade tree mechanic (<---me:D ) can do with a press or is it a pretty technical job involving lots of tolerances and stuff???

I have done a couple of them--not too hard but you will need a GOOD service manual to get the shift assy apart--thats the hard part...

crash said:

Huh huh... you said assy.

Anyway, yes... I will 2nd the good service manual. Not only for the shift assembly, but for the entire job. Chiltons or haynes isn't going to cut it, an FSM will be best.

Hmmm...don't know if it's something that I want to do just as a favor then. Sounds like it might be a little time consuming. Maybe it's time to just swap a w56 and a couple top shift cases in :flipoff:

If you do it as a favor, you are a fool! LOL

they are a PITA and failure rate on a reman is 3 times the oem. Better to get a good used.

it's not that had if your macanicy incind you could do it in 2-3 hours.
after you get it apart take some time to look at how it works, go throgh the gears, all so there is a larg nut that has to be removed from the transaxle take the shift ralls off first and put it in two gears at the same time (this will make alot more sense after you get it apart). good luck