• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Your rig's audio system and audio question

TacomaJD

I LIKE CHEAP STUFF.....
I'm looking at installing a "cheap" audio system on my new rig and have some questions. Also thought this thread could be used for you guys to post pics and/or info about your audio systems on your rigs to help myself and others who are studying on the best audio setup for thier rig.

There is no radio in my rig at all or speakers. It'd be nice to have a secure dry mount for a Pioneer head unit so I could play cd's and have the MP3 port or USB port also, but I'm looking at just doing something to where all I will have is an MP3 plug run out of the dash somewhere to plug my phone or an MP3 player in to use.

I've done several audio systems in my daily drivers over the years, but don't know much about these MP3 amplifiers and have been searching through what's out there in the marine/atv audio market to see the best way to go about this. I have 2 6x9 boxes with Planet Audio 3 way speakers in them that I took out of the Tacoma and plan to use them until I decide to drop the coin on wake tower speakers or another route, so speakers aren't an issue here. I'm also well aware that you could spend a good chunk of change and get the best of the best of the best that's out there, but I don't give a **** about spending in the upwards of $500 on audio **** right now, I had rather put that money toward wiring my shop up if I was to drop that kind of coin on something right now. Just curious how these MP3 amplifiers work.

I'm wondering about this little unit here. Doesn't necessarrily have to be this exact one or brand, just want to clarify how it works.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-CH-500W-Car-Audio-Amplifier-Motorcycle-AMP-ATV-MIT-75AZ-MP3-iPod-Amplifier-New-/251175725689?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item3a7b3d6a79

So if I was to buy this, I would wire it up just like a regular amp that you would use to push subs with, run the speaker wires to the speakers I plan to use, and instead of RCA cables running to a head unit (cd player) it would be that RCA to MP3 plug that's also included in the listing running straight to my MP3 player and everything work like normal? Any cons to this setup? Also is there any other ways or equipment you guys use to wire up audio systems in your rigs that don't have oem systems?

Thanks in advance and post up some pics or specs of your ****! Always good to hear first person reviews of what speakers sound good or what speakers you may have wasted your money on that sounded like **** or didn't last long.

:drinkers:

I've found some Youtube review vids on these small chinese amps and pretty much most of them are stating that they say 500 watts, but are more like 30 watts. So, technically I guess I could find a decent larger amp of any sort either 2 or 4 channel and it work the same as long as I buy one of those RCA to Mp3 plugs? Then I could later do a dry weatherproof install of a Pioneer head unit if I wanted and just run RCA cables to it?

I think I've got it all figured out, just wanted some reassurance that I'm going in the right direction or to be informed of better ways to go about it.

What about something like this Boss 800 watt marine amp? If I'm gonna get an amp, might as well get one that will push good wake tower speakers decently in the future when I upgrade speakers. Or would this be more of a subwoofer type amp? Not super savvy on this stuff.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSS-MR800-800-WATT-2-CHANNEL-BOAT-MARINE-CAR-AMPLIFIER-STEREO-AUDIO-AMP-WHITE-/160864412056?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item2574442198

JD while doing a little looking to replace the old stereo in my boat I ran across this for under $100, it seem it would work good in a trail rig also.
It will fit in a 3" guage hole in the dash, still have not purchased one but plan on it.
MILPRV15.jpg

MILLENIA PRV15 AM / FM / USB 4X40 WATT GAUGE STYLE DISPLAY

Marine USB/MP3 player
Radio AM,FM receiver, Aux-in at the back
4*40W output
Rubber Tactile Action Control Buttons
Meets Astm b117SALT/Fog Exposure Standard
High Definition Positive LCD Display
Bright White LED illumination

Awesome, I will do some checking in on that little unit. Would be the same amp output as ur basic aftermarket head unit.

...and Ben, I can't say that I have that problem with the 4 hampsters running in place under my hood :flipoff1:

Re: Re: Your rig's audio system and audio question

Try looking around at Amazon they usually have good cheap stuff.

Also try SonicElectronix.com

Of the cheap brands that are out there I've had great luck with RE Audio, Crunch and Lanzar products.

I'm also running a cheap Kenwood deck that has USB ports and a headphone plug for my phone. And buy cheap I mean 80 bucks.

I have lanzar four 5 1/4 speakers in the kick panels/doors. 30$ a pair.

Two crunch amps... 35*4 and 150*2. $50 each.

Only using one channel of the sub amp on an REAudio 8. $50

All this stuff is non marine grade and hooked up with a $30 walmart kit.

All this is easily loud enough to hear in a carpetless XJ going down the interstate at 70mph with all the windows down and mud terrains.

I'm actually running a very similar set up in my daily driver Cherokee.

6 of those same lanzar speakers....3 RE Audio 8's..... and 1 huge crunch 5 channel amplifier 75*4, 250*1

Crunch...Lanzar....Zapco...USAmps...MB Quart....Hifonics are all made by a company called Maxxsonics. Ive had nothin but good luck with them.

mdo817 said:
JD while doing a little looking to replace the old stereo in my boat I ran across this for under $100, it seem it would work good in a trail rig also.
It will fit in a 3" guage hole in the dash, still have not purchased one but plan on it.
MILPRV15.jpg

Marine USB/MP3 player
4*40W output
I put 2 of these in my boat this spring, they are waterproof, and only need a small hole to let the wire pass thru, check with amazon or ebay

i used a 4 channel pyle marine amp with some 6x9's and some 4" or 5" round speakers in my toyota
PYLPLMRA400.PNG

i just used a adapter for an ipod to rca's into the amp and then wire it up to the speakers from there.

in my buggy i've got these speaker enclosures from crawltunes
SANY1889_zps99b26a3f.jpg

SANY1886_zps90511b0c.jpg

he is making the enclosures and can sell you them only or packaged with speakers, amp, etc.

i'm going to be using this amp/ ipod dock setup
OOA-1111-AQ_web.jpg

http://www.aquaticav.com/products/source-units/aq-dm-4b-digital-media-locker/

I'd be careful using your phone as the MP3 player just in case you decide to set the rig on its side (like you have already done) the phone could go bye bye and same with a more expensive MP3 player (IPod). I have no experience with the little setup mdo817 posted, but it looks like a good piece.

I had the same Amp as Wizzo and some Pyle 8" Wakeboard tower speakers on my old RZR with a cord that goes from RCA cable to plug a iPhone or pod up to sounded real good! Til the shitty plastic speaker cans and mounts broke

I have a junk amp and two 6x9's I use when I'm just cruising alligator clips to the battery! RCA to headphone jack on my iPhone and I justkeep my phone in my pocket on a predetermined playlist I use a small toggle switch incase I need to turn the sound off quick. It works and only money I got in it is the RCA wires! Bugej has one of the round marine radios bought it from basspro shop came with head unit and two 6.5's sounds good!

mdo817 said:
MILPRV15.jpg

Marine USB/MP3 player
4*40W output

I run this radio with a JBL marine amp and two Wakeboard pods with 6" speakers. I have around $300 in all of it if I remember corectly. I was impressed with how good it sounded for the money. The radio leaves a little bit to be desired. I was under the impression I could run my Ipod through it and control it but it doesn't work that way for me atleast. Also, it has no RCA pre outs for an amp so you have to run a converter. I also run the tray they make to hold the Ipod. Thats a pretty cool addition in a buggy so your ipod doesn't get all jacked up. Just make a good playlist.

B.DRAKE said:
I had the same Amp as Wizzo and some Pyle 8" Wakeboard tower speakers on my old RZR with a cord that goes from RCA cable to plug a iPhone or pod up to sounded real good! Til the shitty plastic speaker cans and mounts broke

Same here. Good setup, I will just get better speakers next time.

matth_85 said:
I run this radio with a JBL marine amp and two Wakeboard pods with 6" speakers. I have around $300 in all of it if I remember corectly. I was impressed with how good it sounded for the money. The radio leaves a little bit to be desired. I was under the impression I could run my Ipod through it and control it but it doesn't work that way for me atleast. Also, it has no RCA pre outs for an amp so you have to run a converter. I also run the tray they make to hold the Ipod. Thats a pretty cool addition in a buggy so your ipod doesn't get all jacked up. Just make a good playlist.
How old is your radio? Bugejs has RCA outputs and USB

Ok, gonna check out the Crawl Tunes for upgrades on down the road and I'm glad to see others using the Pyle marine amps. They are cheap on Ebay and I've always like Pyle's products for good budget decent quality equipment. I've seen a Youtube vid or two calling those amps junk, etc....but there's somebody somewhere always calling stuff junk if they have a bad experience with it. You rarely hear the good about products like that.

Damn Jamie, that's a sweet console setup! No way it would fit in that truck though, well at least without sawin a hole in the bottom of it and having the rear t case shifter come up inside the console haha. I'm sure it would sell easily though! I'm prolly going to do the 2 or 4 channel amp thing with RCA to Mp3 plug, and run my speaker wires to these dumpy 6x9's I have for now and secure them down somewhere, then research more in depth on wake tower speakers.

I'm really picky about sound quality because I listen to hard rock / heavy metal ****.....not so much of the rap/country like most. So choosing the right speaker to attain better sound quality matters a tad more to me than somebody just looking for decent bass to pump their favorite rap tunes to :afro:

Wizzo, what brand speakers did you get from Crawl Tunes? I'm looking at thier enclosure/speaker combos and they offer 5 or 6 different brand speakers to accompany the enclosures.

ridered3 said:
I'd be careful using your phone as the MP3 player just in case you decide to set the rig on its side (like you have already done) the phone could go bye bye and same with a more expensive MP3 player (IPod). I have no experience with the little setup mdo817 posted, but it looks like a good piece.

Oh I'll have some sort of safe mount/clamp for that. I plan on buying a decent mp3 player so my battery doesn't run down fast on my phone...it already sucks for battery life as it is molaugh

Nevermind, I will be buying these Infinity marine speakers from Crawl Tunes, they have the best RMS and Peak Power Ratings and found a vid on the Yootubez of a couple pairs on an atv....they sound DAMN good. Will most likely go ahead and order the 400 watt Pyle amp....might even go with that Boss 800 amp to get the most out of the Infinitys. Could always bridge the 4 channel Pyle amp I guess since I only plan on running two of the single speaker enclosures.

http://www.crawltunes.com/product.php?productid=17526&cat=253&page=1

RMS - 75 watts
Peak Power - 225 watts

^^^pretty badass wattage for 6.5" speakers

Whoolie Shop Audio Tubes

Scratch that, I already have 6x9 boxes so I'll just sell the Planet Audio's that I have and replace them with the Infinity 6x9 version of the 6.5's I mentioned above....saving me over $100. They think highly of those Crawl Tunes enclosures....speakers are only $90.

Just ordered the following. Gotta have my tunes ready for RBD! :woot: :driving: :drinkers:

Infinity 6912m marine 6x9's. 300w peak power, 100w RMS.
T2eC16ZHJHQE9nzEy9TZBQkbKEtw60_1.jpg

Will bridge them on this 4 channel amp, (same one as others have mentioned above). Pyle 400w 4 channel
d-1iRQEGMKGrHqFlEEyjC1KIBM7UscFdlQ_32.jpg

And of course, gotta have a stereo to RCA plug. Now I just have to buy an amp wiring kit at Wally World, and time to git r dun as soon as all my **** comes in the mail. :woot:
KGrHqFHJE4FB4BQJnBQh0oPrz60_1.jpg